17s versus 18s

• Sponsors (?)

So other than looks (which is okay), there isn't much justification for spending $1000+ for new wheels and tires? I figured there must be some physical advantage, like less sidewall flex...but I'm guessing it's not significant enough to merit the cost. Right? :doh:

The following is my $.02

18" Pros
Looks better
Hooks better
Handles better (provided they are wider than previous)
Pimping Status Raised

18" Cons
Wheel and Tires more expensive
Heavier in most cases
Thief magnets
The only thing that was a deciding factor for me was cost. After much deleberation and much saving, i went with the 18s.

BlueRuckus said:
The following is my $.02

18" Pros
Looks better
Hooks better
Pimping Status Raised

18" Cons
Heavier in most cases
Thief magnets
The only thing that was a deciding factor for me was cost. After much deleberation and much saving, i went with the 18s.

Comparing similar treadwidths between 18s and 17s, the 17s will hook better due to increased sidewall flex. It is for that same reason that 17s do not handle as well as 18s. ie, a matched 18x9 set of wheels will outhandle a matched 17x9 set, but the 17x9 will have an advantage in terms of traction and straightline acceleration (less rotating mass)

Stanggt97,

Let me clarify my previous post which is based on assumption and is no way intended to be fact nor do i have any data to back it up. I was refering to everyday driving and spirited take offs.

I said they hook better, because my assumption is that the 18s will be wider, hense using a wider foot plant (larger contact patch) on the tire. Combined with the added weight of an assumed heavier wheel which requires a tad more HP to spin, would provide a bit more traction in my opinion. Let me also clarify that i am not saying that you could launch at 4K and get traction. I totally understand the sidewall flex that you talked about and also agree that this is a factor.

From my understanding, you are correct in that 17's will have better straightline acceleration in a 1/4 mile situation. But i also believe that 18s will provide faster MPH in a top end speed situation. An 18" wheel spinning at the same speed as an 17" will go faster due to (larger diameter).:cheers:

18x10 with 315s

Bullitt312010.jpg

Attachments

• Bullitt312010.jpg
    Bullitt312010.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 77
BlueRuckus said:
The following is my $.02

18" Pros
Looks better
Hooks better
Pimping Status Raised

18" Cons
Heavier in most cases
Thief magnets

A wider tire might mean more grip, but a lesser sidewall will also mean that you will have less traction coming out of a corner. You can get the same width in 17's as the 18's, and run a little taller sidewall. So in theory 18's just look better, and will empty your bank account.

BlueRuckus said:
Stanggt97,

Let me clarify my previous post which is based on assumption and is no way intended to be fact nor do i have any data to back it up. I was refering to everyday driving and spirited take offs.

I said they hook better, because my assumption is that the 18s will be wider, hense using a wider foot plant (larger contact patch) on the tire. Combined with the added weight of an assumed heavier wheel which requires a tad more HP to spin, would provide a bit more traction in my opinion. Let me also clarify that i am not saying that you could launch at 4K and get traction. I totally understand the sidewall flex that you talked about and also agree that this is a factor.

From my understanding, you are correct in that 17's will have better straightline acceleration in a 1/4 mile situation. But i also believe that 18s will provide faster MPH in a top end speed situation. An 18" wheel spinning at the same speed as an 17" will go faster due to (larger diameter).:cheers:

Um if you get 18's and the right tire size, the wheels will be spinning at the same speed... If you are assuming 18's will be heavier, they will slow you down too... THere is just no justification to go with 18's unless its for looks, or you really need huge brakes.

BlueRuckus said:
Stanggt97,

k man I see what you're saying. But a 17" wheel and an 18" wheel will not affect top speed, assuming the overall sidewall+wheel height it the same between the two. I also understand your statement about the 18s hooking better, but we need to compare apples to apples here which is why I had that 17x9 and 18x9 example.

no point in buying 17's, you already have them. if your going to spend money gat the 18's. if you pay extra like me, the 18's wont even weigh as much as stock.

^ was right its the tires that hold all the weight.

Good points all. I assume that with the correct aspect tires, the 18s would be pretty close to the 17s in terms of overall diameter, so besides the obvious cost, the considerations are pretty much contact area (width), mass, sidewall flex, and appearance.

I appreciate the feedback. The wheels are probably close to last on my list of things to do, but it's good to know what I'm getting into ahead of time.