17s vs 18s...Ride and racing comparison

95.0Stang

Feb 20, 2003
Kansas
I currently have 17x9/10.5 Black Bullitts. I have been thinking about going to an 18x9/10 set up. I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the two sizes in the area of Daily Driving, and Drag Racing? In either case I plan to put the Nitto 555 DR or Nitto NT-05 DR on the rears. I don't drive the car daily in the winter or anything.

Just looking for facts or well thought out opinions.

• Sponsors (?)

17's are always going to be a better size for ride/racing. With the 17" rim, you get a thicker tire with more sidewall. The more sidewall you've got, the better the tire is able to stick on launches.

However, the difference is negligible and not worth paying any attention to.

18's are generally heavier, and as Nightfire said most 18" tires have a smaller sidewall.

Although, a 315/35/17 tire has a very small sidewall, they do make drag radials in that size. They won't work as well as a tire with a larger sidewall, and more area to flex though.

I personally like 17's because they are lighter, tires are less expensive, and with the right tire they handle great.

I agree with the above and would like to add that 17s look more at home on that model. I think 18" wheels just leave too little sidewall and look a bit goofy. Of course, it is a completely different story on 05+ mustangs, since they have a much taller wheel/tire combination.