17x8 bullitts on Fox

Black1987

my wife Bedazzled my input shaft
15 Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
NC
My friend has a 93 Mustang with some sort of 5-lug conversion on it. He bought some take-offs 17x8 Bullitts and they're rubbing in the front and rear. My question is if the conversion was done by using Sn95 stuff, then would he have this problem or not? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

My friend has a 93 Mustang with some sort of 5-lug conversion on it. He bought some take-offs 17x8 Bullitts and they're rubbing in the front and rear. My question is if the conversion was done by using Sn95 stuff, then would he have this problem or not? Thanks!

I have the 17x8 bullitts on my 91 fox and they rubbed in the rear on the inside untill I installed the SN-95 axles and brakes there 3/4 longer. now it's just right.

The fronts are also 17x8 bullits and they rub when the wheels are cut all the way (the last 1/8 turn)-my tires are to big

BUT: the 17x8 take offs usally come with a huge tire 235-55-17 and thats just to big for a fox--a smaller tire on the same rim will work out nice.

I'm running the tires that are to big "price was right"
what size tire is he running?

Part of it also depends if the car is lowered at all. Put ~32 PSI in each tire, put the car on a level and flat surface, and measure all four fender heights (center of the fender - they will all be different).

A 245/45/17 tire on a 17x8 rim should be close to stock height. So, the fender height for a stock GT is ~27.25" to 27.5". The isolators often compress, wear down, and/or wear away completely (especially the bottom ones). So, that can also lower a 100% OEM GT suspension a little.

Ok,,,,,,,,If he has 245-45-17 he should be ok
If you are running the 255-55-17 then it will rub in the front when you cut the wheels all the way.

or at least that's the way mine works out and it is a 91 fox with SN-95 conversion front and rear.

I have 17x9 fr500's on the front and rear without rubbing but i've seen them rub on stock a arms before. Mine are tubular so I have more clearance but it's also lowered pretty good. Not sure how low since it's has coilovers in the front and frpp c springs in the rear with one coil cut.

I bet your rubbing issue is the tire hitting because it's taller.. put a lower profile tire on like a 45 or 40 and you should be able to tell if the car was converted using sn95 parts or lincoln rotors by just looking at the brake calipers..

He is probably running 2005+ take offs which have a HUGE tire on them. Those cars use a 235/55/17 which is too big for fox body cars.

He needs to use the right size tires, which are 245/45/17, or he can run a 235/45/17 for a little more room up front

It depends on the year of the Stang, and if the front fender has ever been removed. Also, unless I'm mistaken, even 92-93 Stangs need rack limiters with an sn95 front spindle and 17x8 rims.

For my poor '86, I have the smallest fender opening - especially at the bottom of the opening. :( So, I come within a snail's breath of rubbing the bottom corners of the fenders - 245/45/17 tires, D178 rims, M2300K kit. Part of that is also how much camber a particular car can have. Those top openings aren't very precisely oriented with respect to the k-frame. So, in my case, even with MM CC plates, I can't get as much negative camber as I'd like. And, *I* am not about to widen the opening on the top of that POS wet-noodle strength strut tower.

I see camber as another big factor with how well tires fit within the wheel well. It's just one of those many many issues in getting something to fit which is bigger than the car was originally designed for - like with exhausts. Many tolerance issues, many small tweaks that people do, etc.

Heck, if it was easy, everyone would do it, and not have any problems. :)

Another good point. That can be fixed with spacers.

But for the cost of quality spacers, plus new tires...he would be better off selling the wheels/tires and buying a set that fit correctly.

Sorry to hijack the thread and I can post a new one, but Black1987's question brought my question to mind. I'm new to this area of Fox Bodies. I have a 1986 GT (this seems to be a different animal when changing to 5 lugs than the 87 up) and I have a set of 17 x 8 2005 GT Bullits. I know they have the 6.29 back spacing and they have brand new 245/45 tires mounted. Will this wheel/tire combo work when I change to five lugs? The rear axle swap seems to be no problem, but is there just a rotor swap without changing spindles, etc. to achieve the 5 lug conversion.? I know the rotor snout is longer and could push out the center cap, but I have the tri bar spinners that give a little more room outward. Thanks in advance for any help. You guys are all very wise on this mustang stuff.
Old guy in Alabama

The rotors you want are mid 80's 4-banger ranger rotors. 10", but with 5-lugs.

But same issues. The wheels will be pulled way in, so you might need spacers front and rear or you run the risk of rubbing just the the OP here is.

01-04 bullitt wheels fit much better. The only time i'd suggest running the 05+ wheels is if you are using Sn95 disks and axles out back.