17X8 (or 9) wheel guys, come in here...

carbed87

Jun 5, 2005
i have my 17X8 93 cobras on my 86, but i noticed something today. i put my hand behind the wheel to feel the clearence between the rim and the strut. and i couldn't even fit my finger between the two... do any of you guys have the same problem. i don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that i have 87+ spindles, rotors and all, or it maybe could be the backspacing, but is there anyone else who has this **** going on

• Sponsors (?)

carbed87 said:
it only hit when im at lock (at least i think) lol still kinda shuts me down, i wanted to do coilovers :(

I'm tyring to get the same answer in tech but no replys just yet. My problem is the 9 inch rim. I will keep you in mind when I get some information. I am going to call around in the next few days to find out.

thats how mine is with the tri-bars, especially with the quads on the back. They are hitting if the car is jacked up in the air because, i guess, it moves it that much closer to the tire, but there is no wear on the rims or the tires from it, so fugg it

carbed87 said:
aftermarket
If they are aftermarket, then they are 17x8.5's. Made by Wheel Replicas. I have the same wheels. I have 245/45's up front, and 275/40's in the rear. The fronts are close to the strut, but the wheel itself rubs on the lower control arm when at full lock... I fixed that by grinding off the ID tags on the control arms. It helped a ton, but they still rub just a little at full lock and turning up my driveway (uneven surfaces). You have to make sure to use sticky weights on the inside (no clip weights) or you will rub the weights right off. Good luck!

Nick

thanks poop. your car is the reason i decided to go with 93 kewbz. only mine are black with a polished lip. and yes, i did get them from wheel replicas. im running a 235/35 up fron, so the tire clears fine.

thanks for all the help guys

Mine are 17X9 Saleen replicas. They were very close to the torque strut. I need 1/4" spacer to clear strut on front and to move the wheel out more so the grease cap didn't knock the center cap out. I used the spacer on rear as well, not because it was needed for clearance, but to make it look even front and rear.

It's because you have an older fox that they don't have much clearance. Remember that your car came stock with 15s and it was actually designed around a (gasp) 13 inch rim, so 17s is actually quite large for your car (as per what it was engineered around). If you were to find some newer fenders and inner fenders, you would gain some clearance.