17x8 wheel fitment on a 68

68xstang

Sep 29, 2010
Hi,

I got a set of AR TT2s 17x8 with 4" backspace for my 68HT. Can anyone tell whether the 4" backspace will cause problems with the tire rubbing the fender, or will it be ok?
What tires are recommended? I was thinking of 235/45R17.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Unless your car is different than mine I don't think your going to like them. I am in a wheel dilemma myself at the moment because I got some 17x8 Torq Thrust M with 4.5" bs and found the fronts stuck out too much. I sent them back to get some 17x7 and found no one has any.

If I had a choice I would go with 17x8 4.75 bs and 17x7 4.5 bs.

Unless your car is different than mine I don't think your going to like them. I am in a wheel dilemma myself at the moment because I got some 17x8 Torq Thrust M with 4.5" bs and found the fronts stuck out too much. I sent them back to get some 17x7 and found no one has any.

If I had a choice I would go with 17x8 4.75 bs and 17x7 4.5 bs.

Did the fronts sticking out too much, cause any other problems(like rubbing) than visual apperance?

Strange that e.g. Mustangsunlimited are recommending the 17x8 with 4" backspace for early mustangs. Mustangs Unlimited - '65-73 Mustang Parts & '65-70 Shelby Performance, Restoration and Accessory Parts Online Virtual Catalog: Page 240

My car is still in the project state, but yes, if it was fully loaded and as low as I want to get it, the tires (225/45) would rub the fenders.

I have measure exactly 5" between the upper control arm perpendicular to the wheel hub. With the torq thrust M wheels with 4.5" backspacing I measured about 3/4" between the rim and the upper control arm. So a 8" x 5" BS is the biggest wheel that would fit on my car.

Keep in mind I built my car from a pile of rust so your car may be different.

I see MU lists the Torq Thrust with 4" BS but it looks like all the other 8" wheels they have listed are 4.5"

Mike

In the front I have enough clearance, so the problem is only with the rear wheels. I also noted that both rear fenders have been replaced at some point in time. The reason could of course also relate to that.

I measured the distance between wheels in front and back today, and I discovered that the mustang is ~4 inches wider in the back. In that case I could go with 17x8 4,75" bs in the back and 17x8 4" bs in the front. Does this sound doable??