17x9 and 275 tires

tremblay

Jul 20, 2006
Ottawa
Hi, Im simply writing this thread for anyone looking to get 17x9 wheels and putting 275 tires in the back. I read alot of threads that discourage the use of 17x9 wheels in the front as most of us can only fit 245 tires and these tires are too narrow for the wheel etc. However, I would like to say that the 245s tire are just fine and look very good on the rim. As for the 275 tires in the back, I have no rubbing issue what so ever. Does not rub on the tailpipes or suspension components. It is a tight fit and would not recommand wider then that, unless planning on doing some modifications.

I should also mention that my vehicle is a 1992 Lx Hatchback 5.0L. I understand that 1992 cars had wider fenders so thats probably something you want to consider before putting on the wheels / tires.

• Sponsors (?)

I've seen many threads on this subject and I've seen wider wheel and tire combos done right and I've seen a bunch done wrong. See attached photo below. The only thing I really can't stand is when people ask if something will fit and then they post a pick of their car with the tire clearly not tucking whatsoever in the fender well. These guys don't take body roll or jounce into consideration. I researched, wrote, photographed and helped install a complete SN95 4 to SN95 5 lug swap on my 88 GT for MM&FF magazine that came out a couple of months ago. I agree 275s will fit no problem out back and 245s fit nicely up front. Now I'm not sure if there's diminishing performance from stretching a tire beyond the recommended specifications, but personally I think a 245 width tire stretched onto a 9" wide wheel doesn't look right. Maybe I'm OCD, I know I'm picky with things like having the tire sidewalls not stretched on some tires and then bulging on others especially on the 17" sizes. Now I will say that a 245 width tire on an 18x9 doesn't appear to look as stretched due to the shorter sidewalls. I'm speaking purely aesthetics here. Just my 2 cents.

J

Attachments

• sticking out.jpg
    sticking out.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 523
Yeah I agree it could be a long thread so I'm not going to add really anything "much" LOL.

25thMustang - you have managed to fit the 18x9 and 18x10 combo on a fox body better than most in my opinion. I'm glad you joined this topic. Your tires TUCK nice, your car is lowered and has a great wheel/tire and stance altogether. Not many guys seem to be able to achieve this. My pics above are just an example of what I usually see on the forums with the owners claim that they "fit". They don't if they look like that.
I mentioned that in my opinion a 245 looks too stretched on a 9" wide tire. It does. The optimum tire size atleast as far as width for a 9" wide wheel is a 275. 255 could work and maybe a 285 but I also base this off of many tire companies recommendations. It's really your car and if you like it and think it works then that's cool.
I design and work with a lot of top car builders, I have a degree in automotive styling and one of my latest clients as of yesterday is Rick Hendrick of Hendrick's Motorsports. I work with many companies/clients like this spending weeks and sometimes months designing and developing cars for shows such as SEMA, PIR, etc. A lot of time and research is spent just on getting the look right with wheels, tires, and stance. This can make and break the look of your car. I guess what I'm saying is that I do have an eye for aesthetics and design. I know we're just talkin' about our Fox Bodies here but there's a reason sometimes why one guy's car just looks just right and ya just can't put your finger on it. I guess I always sweat the details...maybe I am picky or have OCD!

I am a HUGE stickler for the right wheel/tire choice. The way a rim and tire sits on the car can make or break it.

My first rims were 17x9 Cobra Rs. I had 245/45/17s all around and it looked good, but the rear rims tucked. I ran some 275/40/17 DRs on the back for a short time and it looked better but still never right.

Went through the stock rims, and then decided to just try the 10" wide Bullitts. I researched and went for it. The tires I chose were the widest I figured would fit well. 18x9 with 255/35 and 18x10 with 285/35. The look is good, but there could be some changes. Maybe a 265 out front. Maybe a 255/40 and a 295/35 out back... Maybe a 305 or larger. There is always something that can be slightly better, but for the most part I like the rims/tires (1.91 60' doesn't hurt either, LOL).

I will say this, my front rims/tiresdon't fit perfect. The tire rubs on the fender, the rims hit the control arms, and the typical "rub" on the front edge of the fender extension. I have simplylived with it. I really want to push the top of the fenders out slightly, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I will say this... You could take a rusted, rotted, nasty fox... lower it and drop it on the right rims/tires, and I personally will like the look! Stance and wheels might be the two best mods to a fox's looks!!

Hey 25th, you couldn't have said it better. I'm actually going to keep the bullitts and put some super stick rubber on em for road race use. For the street however I'm just waiting for this new Billet Specialties wheel to come out. they are offering this new 5 spoke in a 17" diameter with 7, 8, 9.5, and 11 inch widths. I will stick with the 8" wide up front because it fits nice and the 245s get the job done for it. Out back though obviously I will go with the 9.5" wide which gets me a slightly wider wheel, I'll go up to a 285 since I still have a little more room. I think that will do it. No rub issues either. Since my front 17x8 bullitt with the 5.72" B.S. is a little tight (very slight to mostly no rub on fender lip) and the maximum B.S on the new Billet Specialties wheel is 5.5" I will need to go with the 94-95 spindles instead of the 96+. I will also get the wheel away from the fender lip just enough to avoid any rub ever and keep my tight looking tuck!
What I'm trying to say like you did is that when you go with a 9" wide up front it's so tight that you're gonna be hitting something. I see a lot of guys say it fits great...well hitting your control arm isn't good? Now it can be made to fit. I'm now looking at tubular control arms for more clearance. I'm also going to roll the front fender lip. I wanna be able to not only take my Mustang with wide rubber down the street cruising, I wanna be able to lay into a corner hard and heavy at Road Atlanta. Form follows funtion in my book. So does safety. That's the point I try to make about these mods especially when the wheels and tires are what keep you on the road. Then there's a whole other discussion about upsizing wheels and going wider - heavier wheels - Stock fox body brakes already suck then guys bolt up these huge wheels that add weight and increase stopping distances. I also went to 4 wheel discs because of that. Just things to think about while you plan out your project. Yeah I guess I'm just picky:D

I said I would post pics, little late but here they are, hope this works...

image.php

image.php

image.php

ok it doesnt work lol but if you press open link it works but it will give you a full page, lol. I guess if you really want to see them you can do that...hahah