17x9s w/275s

• Sponsors (?)

Back you would be fine, but up front no way. You can try a 245/45/17. I have run 17x9 CObra R's with 245's on the front of my '88 with only minor rubbing issues. Offset is important though

No way I could get 275's on the front of my ride!

In the back 275's will fit with some planning/adjusting/flaring.
I have 255's in the front, but they do rub every now and again, even after flairing the innner fender.
They rub on the inboard and outboard!!!!

jason

I have 275's ALL around NO problems at all :shrug:

6ya9.jpg

Attachments

• 6ya9.jpg
    6ya9.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 77
venom97 said:
mob said:
I have 275's ALL around NO problems at all :shrug:

hey thanks,did you have to roll the fender or anything? what size are your rims 17x8 or 9?

Nope, didnt have to roll anything, and yes their 17x9 all around with 275/40/17 all around, only time it rubs is on big bumps of course but what car dosent, even with people in the back seat I dont worry about it.

mob said:
Nope, didnt have to roll anything, and yes their 17x9 all around with 275/40/17 all around, only time it rubs is on big bumps of course but what car dosent, even with people in the back seat I dont worry about it.

I would like to hear more about your setup.

There is no way 275's would clear in the front of my car.

What tires?
Front end mods?
What BS on the wheels?
Lowering springs?

Please enlighten us,

jason

Id have to look up the backspacing on the wheels on the recipt but their just the normal AFS 17x9 cobra replicas. Everything else is stock, stock springs. My rack and pinion was replaced like 2 years ago but I doubt that would change anything. I actually have alot of room up there. What wont it clear on your car? Like the fender? or the suspension stuff. I really have absolutly no problems with the 17x9 and 275's, and ive swaped my front and back wheels, no problems.

Heres some more pics that I guess would be helpful, those are just p ics I had, if you want anymore pics, like where it clears I can show you how much clearance i have, but again im not sure what you guys are worried about it not clearing.

img1066pn9.jpg

img1044xc3.jpg

img1043rq2.jpg

Attachments

• img1066pn9.jpg
    img1066pn9.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 68
  • img1044xc3.jpg
    img1044xc3.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 65
  • img1043rq2.jpg
    img1043rq2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 66
mob said:
Id have to look up the backspacing on the wheels on the recipt but their just the normal AFS 17x9 cobra replicas. Everything else is stock, stock springs. My rack and pinion was replaced like 2 years ago but I doubt that would change anything. I actually have alot of room up there. What wont it clear on your car? Like the fender? or the suspension stuff. I really have absolutly no problems with the 17x9 and 275's, and ive swaped my front and back wheels, no problems.

Thanks for the response:nice:

I think the major difference between your setup and mine is that I am lowered with BBK springs.

In the back the 275's barely clear the outer fender well, and that is with some major hammer work. There is plenty of room on the inboard side, so I am planning on shortening the axles or something. I am using a panhard rod, which helps keep the rear positioned in relation to the body. Less side to side movement means less chance of rubbing on the outer fender well.

In the front my 255's rub on the outer fender lip when I hit a bump in a turn. Now that the fender lip has been rolled completely, there isn't much tire damage.
Also, the wheels rub on the lower control arm at full lock. This happens on the forward edge of the control arm. This is not a major issue, as it only happens during tight parking lot turns.
I have seen some rub marks on the forward edge of the inner fender skirting as well. This is just enough contact to clean the dirt of the skirt though.

From the pics I would say that not lowering the car will be the deciding factor in how much tire one can run.

Thanks for the info:nice:

jason

vristang said:
Thanks for the response:nice:

I think the major difference between your setup and mine is that I am lowered with BBK springs.

In the back the 275's barely clear the outer fender well, and that is with some major hammer work. There is plenty of room on the inboard side, so I am planning on shortening the axles or something. I am using a panhard rod, which helps keep the rear positioned in relation to the body. Less side to side movement means less chance of rubbing on the outer fender well.

In the front my 255's rub on the outer fender lip when I hit a bump in a turn. Now that the fender lip has been rolled completely, there isn't much tire damage.
Also, the wheels rub on the lower control arm at full lock. This happens on the forward edge of the control arm. This is not a major issue, as it only happens during tight parking lot turns.
I have seen some rub marks on the forward edge of the inner fender skirting as well. This is just enough contact to clean the dirt of the skirt though.

From the pics I would say that not lowering the car will be the deciding factor in how much tire one can run.

Thanks for the info:nice:

jason

No problem, i remember looking in my inner fender wells in the front and you can see it melted from the tires, but just bearly. Ive never felt it rub so maybe it was when I turned it all the way in parking spots or somthing, but the tires arent anymore of a problem then the 9" wheels are up front, and we all know if you turn the 9" wheels all the way they rub but thats it. I would agree, must be the springs.

I have 275/40/17 in the front and on my 88 the rub when the wheels are turned in while in reverse only. Other than those instances they are good. I used 10th anversary Cobra rims 17x9 with a 6.52 backspace. Sometimes its the combonation of parts that limit rim and tire size. I need new tires and will change to a 255/45/17 in the front next time. I will also finally install the rack limiters to finish the rub for good.