18 inch wheels on stock ride height

alsyr44

Jul 28, 2003
Charlotte, NC
OK...bottom line is I cant lower my car because of my driveway, which sucks :damnit:, and I have contemplated many times just leaving my car on the street, but I dont want to do that.

So that being said, I have heard that 18's actually make the 4X4 look appear worse on a stock mustang. Is this true? If so why? I dont want to make the stance look worse than it already is.

Does anyone have pics of 18's on a stock mustang?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, yes, it does, luckily, new springs are going on tommorow... Its the lessened sidewall that makes it look like that. My advice, get the eibach pro kit.. about a 1.5 inch drop. Not bad, if you ask me. Here pics of my stock suspension with 18x9 Chrome bullitts.

Newwheels.jpg

Newwheels2.jpg

I've got the cheap looking 5 stars on mine. Well I think they are cheap anyway. I am going to get some Anthracite Deep Dish Bullitt Wheels. I just cant decide on 17's or 18's. The problem is I seriously cant lower my car at all without scraping everytime I go in and out of my driveway. I want to get the HR super sports, those will be too low though, I MIGHT be able to clear an inch, but an inch really doesnt look that different to me. I would rather wait until I move, then do the springs, instead of buying something like Ford B or C springs now and then buying the HR's later.

I just wanted to get some input on what 18's look like with the stock ride height.

BigChiefSmokem,

I can sort of see what you are talking about with the side wall being less. The front doesnt look that bad....but the back does. Could be the angle. Once you get it lowered it will look pretty nice. I like how you painted the chin spoiler. Nice touch.

alsyr44 said:
BigChiefSmokem,

I can sort of see what you are talking about with the side wall being less. The front doesnt look that bad....but the back does. Could be the angle. Once you get it lowered it will look pretty nice. I like how you painted the chin spoiler. Nice touch.

From the research on springs that I have done, if you get the Bullitt suspension, (the suspension that comes stock on the bullitt mustangs) it will drop it approximately 1" and give you improved cornering with a good look. the Eibachs i got will give me 1.5 inch drop, which i think is perfect. If i were you get some 18x9's all around or 18x9's up front and 18x10's out back and get the bullitt suspension. BTW, just HOW ANGLED IS YOUR DRIVEWAY!!!! haha

Now, the angle of the picture of my car plus having the front wheels turned REALLY REALLY takes away from the huge gap between the fender and the tire. I can quite literally take my hand, ball it into a fist and put my fist thumb side up into the wheel well in the front. It really Looks like a 4x4 now with the low profile tires on. You should see a picture of the car with the wheels straight, then you could tell. It just looks silly.

Hmmm....decsions decisons.

Seraphitia102,

Your car looks great, and with those 18's it doesnt look that bad at stock ride height. I dont know if its the white and black contrast or what. But it really doesnt look that much different than stock.

My driveway is a total bitch. The first problem is there is a slight dip in the road right in front of my driveway. Its bad enough where if it rains I have a fairly nice size pool of water in front of my driveway. Of course the city is "due out any day now" to fix that. I guess I can think of it as my little moat.

So I've got the dip, then I have an pretty good incline before a sharp drop off. My driveway sort of has a peak ^. Maybe not that bad...but pretty close. Before I moved in, I was actullay worried if my car would get in and out of there without being lowered one bit. I would take some pics, but it has been raining here in the AM, then by the time I get home it is dark.

The bullit kit in general sounds nice, but its not really getting me the drop I am looking for, so I would want to change it as soon as I moved.

OK then, another question, is there anyway to bring some of the lowest parts that hang down on the mustang up? Like I have looked lots of times with the car at the worst part of the driveway and tried to estimate how much clearance was left. The lowest part appeared to be somewehre near the H pipe. Ayway to bring that thing up?

my .02 is run a plus size tire.

245/45/18 (stock width) 275/40-18 if you want to widen the rear. this will raise the car .5 inchs. then lower your car .75-1 inch with like bullitt or mach 1 springs (cheap).

you car will only be physically .25 to .5 lower but you will have about 1.5" less fender gap.

if you just run 18"s and a factory height tire you will have the same fender gap as stock.

it is the tire you run not the wheel that will change overall diameter. a 35 seires 18 inch tire and a 45 series 17 inch tire are roughly the same diameter.

hognutz said:
my .02 is run a plus size tire.

245/45/18 (stock width) 275/40-18 if you want to widen the rear. this will raise the car .5 inchs. then lower your car .75-1 inch with like bullitt or mach 1 springs (cheap).

you car will only be physically .25 to .5 lower but you will have about 1.5" less fender gap.

if you just run 18"s and a factory height tire you will have the same fender gap as stock.

it is the tire you run not the wheel that will change overall diameter. a 35 seires 18 inch tire and a 45 series 17 inch tire are roughly the same diameter.

That makes sense. But if I ran 18X10.5 in the rear, arent most people putting 295/35 or 305/30...something like that, which would make the tire height less?

I was in the same situation that you are in now. My drive way is extremely steep also. I have to back in & come out at an angle to keep from scraping the front spoiler & tailpipes. But there's no way I was going to ride stock height on my new 18's. So I got the Eibach Pro kit. It's about a 1.5" drop and just enough to get in the driveway. Later this summer I'm having a friend of mine level my driveway out some so I can get the H&R SS springs.

with 18x9.5's b4 Pro kit

523053_103_full.jpg

w/18x9.5's w/Pro kit

523053_133_full.jpg

another w/ both mods

523053_127_full.jpg

another w/ both mods

523053_130_full.jpg

last one - as you can see I could still use a little more drop. I can just get 3 fingers in there now. Where as b4 I could get my fist and move it up & down. But aleast I can clear my driveway :nice:.

523053_131_full.jpg

I think maybe I am just going to call some company to comptlely redo my driveway and while they are at it fix the road. I'm sure this is really the best solution :D. It will probably cost a mongoose kit or KB, if not more, but it would be totally worth it to get my stang lowered.

I just installed some MaxSpeed springs in my car (supposed to be identical to the Eibach Sport-line) and I have had no issues with bottoming out. My brother's driveway is steeper than a mule's face, and I have no problems getting in/out of it. Don't be afraid to drop it, it still will have plenty of clearance. Use the Eibach pro-kit if anything.