18" Tires on 03GT

highvolts

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Ohio
Hello Everyone, I hope this is not a duplicate post...

I'm looking to get some 18-inch wheels and tires for my stang. Right now, the stang has the stock suspension and will have until I’m out of warranty.

My Question... Can I put 18's w/o clearance problems and will the new 18's throw off my speedo?

Thanks in advance…

• Sponsors (?)

there shouldn't be any clearance problems, especially if you car still has stock springs.

your speedo may change slightly, use this tool to figure it out:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
you put in your original and new tire sizes, and it will tell you the difference (in MPH). depending on the width of the rims you get, you may be able to find a tire that will have the same overall diameter.

:)

That is the most valuable tool i've ever seen when it comes to tires..

Image2.gif

Says i'll be off .1%. I think i could deal with being off .1%

Thanks Xomp!

highvolts said:
Hello Everyone, I hope this is not a duplicate post...

I'm looking to get some 18-inch wheels and tires for my stang. Right now, the stang has the stock suspension and will have until I’m out of warranty.

My Question... Can I put 18's w/o clearance problems and will the new 18's throw off my speedo?

Thanks in advance…
I just put 18's on last week. I have 265/35/18 in front (which is slightly shorter than the stock tire height) and 275/35/18 in the rear which is exactly stock height. The rear is where the speedo calibration comes from so you have two options to not throw off the speedo, 275/35/18, and 245/40/18... I would highly advice the size I got. I have a 26mm offset on my 18x9" wheels and there is no rubbing

-wade

i just got my 18's on, and the front rubs in the Roush lip... no biggie :D

however... if you are the little bit concerned with the weight of a 18 wheel, then by all means DON'T DO IT!

the 18s are MUCH MUCH heavier than my stock 17s with tires...

i know you said you don't want to modify anything until your warranty runs out...but you'll definitely want to lower it. Putting 18's on a stock suspension makes the wheel gap look even worse. Besides, lowering it shouldn't do anything to your warranty (unless your dealer wants to be really anal)

Here's my car with H&R SuperSports...I bought it brand new and lowered it at around 2k miles...

lowered7.gif

Firemanz said:
I have 18's with a lowered car and have no problems with clearance whatsoever..... :nice:

Lawrence
i have a similar exhaust setup as you... roush... magnaflow... lol

do you have any bumps you have to go over? and if you do how does that turn out? do you scrape a lot?

i installed the exhaust on my own and i am wondering if i did it right, or if i let it hang too low, so that's why i am asking...

i wanted to get the Roush 18's but that was a little too much for me... so i got something else :) i'll post pics sometime after i wash the car...

oh yeah... btw Roushes are Fnsweet!

highvolts said:
Spree.. How much drop is that? Did you install Caster Camber Plates? Different Shocks and Struts?

Also.. I'm thinking.. 245/40WR18 on Front and 275/35WR18 on the back.. Comments?

Rim diameter pratically has nothing to do with overall wheel diameter. If you step up a size in rim diamter, then you simply get a lower profile tire. They will not be exact, but it will be with in 1% or so.

I have 18x8's up front with 245/40's, and 18x9's in the rear with 285/35's.

mustang%208-28-03%20pic3%20web.jpg

image002.jpg

highvolts said:
Spree.. How much drop is that? Did you install Caster Camber Plates? Different Shocks and Struts?

Also.. I'm thinking.. 245/40WR18 on Front and 275/35WR18 on the back.. Comments?
Go 265/35/18 for the front.. I just had mine put on last week, 265/35 front, 275/35 rear.. looks much better than if i were to have gotten 245's

-wade