180 Thermastat

5oh4fun

Apr 8, 2004
Delaware
I have underdrive pullies and the engine starts to heat up when i get on it a lot. I went to my local Pepboys and they said they only has 192 or 160 thermastats. They have a ton of 180 thermastats but said they didn't have one for my car. Any one know the part # or how I could find it out? Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

You want 59358. Same deal at the pep boys here. They say they don't have it and I go to the shelf and there are tons of 180's there. Their computers are just as screwed up as their employees.

I got my 180* at advance auto. Next time I think I will order a Mr. Gasket. I have read they are supposed to be a cut above the part store brands. But even with my parts store 180* and an otherwise stock cooling system, I still only heat up to around 195* tops when idling in a drive through with the A/C on.

I wouldn't get too excited - a change in t'stat temp won't solve an overheating issue. It may delay it a bit - but it's only treating the symptom, not the illness. If you can wait about 3 weeks, weather will likely solve the problem for you.....until next May anyway. Did the problem start after the underdrive install?

It is my brothers car, I just reciently advanced the timing and was really getin' on it to make sure it wasn't going to ping and noticed it was warming up. He told me it had happened to him before and wasn't a new thing. I guess the short answer is I don't know, but I think so. Everything else seems fine. I just changed to a ported lower intake and everything looked pretty good.

I know I could dial the timing back, but it really made a noticable difference(much more than I rember on previous mustangs of mine). I figured i'd try the thermastat first, and as a last resort, dial back the timing.
Thanks for all your help guys.