180* Thermostat ??

Wikkdgt

Jul 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I am going to be installing a 180* Thermostat. My question is, do I have to get my chip changed so it will come on at 180* or will that just happen on it's own. I don't know if the stock programmed thermostat setting needs to be changed also.

• Sponsors (?)

Superhereaux said:
thermostats are mechanical, so no need to worry about the computer

unless of course you want the fans to kick on sooner

Correct...

But the installing thermostat without adjusting the fan on/off set points is kink of a waste.

The best way to set the fans is to the temperature for where you can get the most cooling without the fans running all the time. I did this by using a base setting, then driving in conditions where my Mustang would heat up the most, i.e. traffic, stop lights, stop signs, etc. Once I got to where it would heat up enough to turn the fan on and at idle be able to cool it down enough to shut them off in the worst driving conditions is where I set them.

I know you have the SCT and from what I see there is not settings for multiple fan speeds, correct me if I'm wrong. My Predator has settings for low speed 1, low speed 2 and high speed fans. So for mine the settings ended up being low speed 1 on at 202, low speed 2 on at 204 and high speed on at 208. I then set high speed off at 206 and low speed off at 200. Now even setting in traffic with temps in the 90's my fans will kick on, go up to the low speed 1 & 2 then cool back down to the 200 and shut off. The hi speed has yet to kick on. Once I get back up to moving the temps actually drop back down into the 182-188 range and the fans never kick on while I'm driving.