185 AFR heads on 302

stang302v8

Aug 16, 2005
carlisle, pa
would anyone reccommend the 185's over the 165's? the 185's flow a little better than the 165's do on the flow chart. but are the 2.02 intake valves too big for a streetable 302 with a high lift cam and flat tops? some one had told me the 185's were for more larger small blocks like 351 or 347 strokers. SO which head is more ideal for a street 302?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the piston to valve clearance, i'd use the 185's. The camshaft is the key to making good power. The TW and the 165 will work well too, but, if done right, the afr 185 will make more. Your low end will be fine, i've seen a few 306's with afr 185's it had plenty of low end. I'll dig up a graph for you when I get a chance to show you.

That would be great. I dont know about going with 185's though because my P/V clearance is going to be close...my cam has a lift of .512, and if i use the 1.7 roller rockers it will be .544. With flat top pistons w/ 2 valve releifs, that will be cutting it close. i might just get the afr 165

One of my friends has the 185's on a 10.5:1cr 306 with an AFM N-71 cam on a victor jr intake running 11.50's at around 116mph. Granted this is a 5 speed car with 4.56's, but he drives it on the street every day. I think the 185's won't lose out on torque by much, they just shift the powerband up about 500rpms over the 165's. For a daily driver that's not revved over 6,000rpms all the time I would say 165's for sure.

Those pistons will have deeper relifs than stock, but maybe try calling the place and ask about them to be sure. The .512 lift doesn't mean much in terms of clearance.

I don't think that F cam is good enough to let the afr 185's shine.

I'll get that graph now..

Heres the graph I mentioned. http://wickedstangs.com/BlueStreakDYNO.jpg

The jist of his combo that he posted is:
306 CID
AFR 185
X-303 Cam
Crane Cam 1.6 rocker arms
Pro-M 75mm Mass Air Meter
Edelbrock 75mm Throttle body
30lb injectors
Cobra upper and lower intaker fully ported
BBK Long Tube

Here is another example out of a guy on corral's signature:

*90 5.0 Notch, mostly stock w/AFR 185's, ported stock intake and some bolt-ons. 399fwhp 392fwtq
275rwhp 351rwtq* He starts making 305 ft/lbs @ 2,200 rpm. He said his stock intake is extensivly ported with 3" of runner length removed.

Trust me, keep the 165 idea (or TW's). The 185's will need more clearance. I have talked to several on this (including Ed Curtis) himself and the 165's are what you want. The 185 valves are a bit to big and will be close if not hitting. I would hate for you to take off piston material and weaken the piston structure, and lose some torque.

Get the 165's...

stang302v8 said:
Thats crazy (the results on that graph). and the higher hp producing motor was with 185's? and the 165 heads were the bottom result?

Both torque monsters were afr 185's. The TW 2.02's work on a stock block, I did that for 4 years with a tfs 1 cam and an fti custom cam.

5spd, he is using KB flat tops according to his sig, not stock slugs.

I know he is using the different pistons. What I said still applies.

So was the compression the stock compression on those examples;)

The TW's have a differnet valve location so you can use the 2.02 valves more "freely". The AFR 185's are inline valves. Less clearance.

Go with the 165's or TW's for the 302 in your case.

stang302v8 said:
That is what i was thinking too. I guess i couldnt go with the TW heads either, their valves are jsut as big as the 185's. 2.02 intake, and i think 1.60 enxhaust

2.02s on the TWs aren't a problem because they are at a different angle than the stock valves which allow the bigger valves to be run on the stock set up. My brother runs TWs with a stage1 cam with no p\v clearance issues just as Trick Flow advertises.

I've got the 185's on my 306 (10:8:1 c.r.) Everyone is right. You'll need a high revving camshaft to take advantage of them. My solid lifter cam specs are: 248 INT/258 EXH @ .50 and .536 INT/.560 EXH lift. I make peak power at 6,400 rpms and shift it at 6,800 rpms. If you can't rev it too high, they'll be too big. My car runs fine on the street (even at low rpms) but the engine does not have stock internals.

Unless you plan to give it the proper supporting pieces the 165's would be a better choice, although I would still swap out that F-cam.... Go with a larger cam and a 1.6 rocker.

Modular, you have cubic inches on your side, that totally changes things.

It also appears this is a carb car, that also changes things...

I'm doing a friend a favor and buying his afr 185's (emissions legal) with some steeda shaftmount 1.72 rockers he has installed on them. From what I'm reading here, does this mean ill have to re-notch my stock '90 pistons to use these? Or is this trouble just because of stang302v8's KB flat tops? Thanks for any help on this matter dudes!