18x8 Rim, Any Setbacks? What Tire Size?

derek02gt

Dec 25, 2003
whats up guys..i am ready to add some wheels to my 02 gt vert as the slp loudmouth,ypipe,h&r supersports,cdc lightbar are now installed..I have seen many mustangs on this board and in real life..they all have one thing in common..THEY have the same wheels!! some type of bullitt,saleen,or cobra wheel..every frickin one..its not a bad thing but i like to be different and to me some of those wheels just dont look that great...I am looking for a 18inch wheel that has a deep dish and looks race like..alot of these wheels are 3pc and cost a fortune ($500-$1000 a wheel)..well i have found some HRE knockoffs and here is the pic..only one bad thing, they are 18x8..discount tire told me i can get a 275/35/18 tire but is that too big?if anyting i'll go 265/35/18..and with a 18x8 tire sacrafice anything other then being able to go with a wide tire?let me know thanks..also do you guys think that if i went with a 18x9 or 9.5 wheel with 295 in the back..would it look *that* much better? also give me your opinion on the wheels..thanks.!

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...source=vehicle&index=8&productCodeIndex=50243

• Sponsors (?)

The 8" is stock width--you'll want to stick with a 245 size tire. The disadvantage will be that you have the same size contact patch with a much shorter sidewall--rough ride. You will see a sharper turn in, but same handling limits. Your ride will be much rougher, and the wheels just won't look right--in my opinion. You can put a bigger tire on the rim, but that still won't look right. Your sidewalls will flare out from the lip of the rim. I would pass...but I like the idea of trying something new.

Jon

most poeple probably won't like them becasue they are not bullit, saleen, cobra, etc. I think they look fine. I was in the same situation. just wanted something differnet. would be nicer to find someting 9" out back for some 275's.

i know that the a 9 inch rim would look better..but they dont make this wheel in 9 inches..8 only..i plan on getting 245/40/18 all around..would that look bad??all these bad responses make it look like im going to have to just go with the cobra r's:p

so these wheels in 245/40/18 will look retarded on my car?anybody have a pic of a 18inch wheel with this setup? i might just get some cobra r's if i really gotta..i mean, you guys say it will look "ok", will it make my car look p*ssy from the back?

Its just not going to look any meaner from the rear. A 245 in any diameter is still going to look the same from the rear. Although it will look fine, I would just find it hard to justify spending the money for new wheels and not going to a 9" wide wheel.

derek02gt said:
so these wheels in 245/40/18 will look retarded on my car?anybody have a pic of a 18inch wheel with this setup? i might just get some cobra r's if i really gotta..i mean, you guys say it will look "ok", will it make my car look p*ssy from the back?

:bs: NO WAY, those will look awesome on your car. I personally have a set of the 17x10.5 and 17x9 chrome cobra R's on the way to my house but I love me some 18's and if you dont mind spending the cash it will be worth it. :nice: Telling yah, if you like the rims, get them. They wont look all scary but if you dont have a blower then your not that scary anyways...

:drool: 18's

Well, I have 18x8 and 18x9 that are Roush knock offs. They are not a common wheel, and they were uber cheap :D $699.95 a set from Kar Kraft. That makes them about $175 each. The shipping was about $40. Thaat brings the cost up to $185 each. That is a pretty damn good deal if you ask me.

Here are some pics
mustang%208-28-03%20pic3%20web.jpg

mustang%208-28-03%20pic5%20web.jpg

I am glad this thread came up, I am getting rims this week(thurs/fri) I was also looking at the same 1's from discount tire but am now going with 1 of these 2
IN CHROME - http://www.wheelnext.com/product.phtml?p=714
or http://www.wheelnext.com/product.phtml?p=576 (set back, they only come in 19")
Adr websit has other sizes(wheel width)
I dont know 2 much about wheel/tire size so this would help.
what is the ideal size to fit w/o n e major problems(or looking stupid), i do want 18" what about width (x7.5, x8, x8.5...)

They will look the same as stock, from the back. That is what you are forgetting. If you like the stock width, then keep it. No worries. Most of us here want to get more rubber under the car if we are buying rims.

Jon

thanks for the replys...Its not like I want a 8 inch wheel..but i really like these rims and If you look at them side by side with cobra r's or a equivalent rim, it plain and simple looks alot better..is 245/40/18 the best i can do? can i do 255 or 265?also do i have to get a 40 series tire? can i get a low pro 35?

Sorry to go OT, but i have the stock Bullitt rims on my 99 GT and want to know if i can run 255/40/17's. Tirerack and Discount Tire both seem to say its fine since its only PLUS ONE on stock tire size.