18x9 Bullitts w/ M2300K 5-lug?

CoupedUp

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
Gone Fishing
I'm gonna buy the $2K Cobra brake kit for my Coupe.
I'm curious as to others opinions on the fitment of these wheels:

Ford's 17x9 Cobra R's have a 5.98" backspacing (and from all my recollection) they just tuck into the fenders on our foxes when mounted onto the M2300 Kit, right???

Sooo, If I pick up a set of these Wheel Replica 18x9 Bullitts http://www.wheelreplicas.com/bullitt.html with a 5.95" backspacing they should just tuck inside the fenders right? ...

.030" isn't much at all and I want to be assured before I throw down the $600 for wheels and the additional $600 for tires.

I think they will just squeak in and look great, what are your thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

CoupedUp said:

Don't waste your money on the FMS kit, it is way overpriced. Just do a little research and you can piece together a front and rear swap pretty easily without spending 2 grand on a kit. An axle here, a spindle there, from the salvage yards will save you big $$$. Just my 2 cents.

BTW--Those wheels should fit fine once the swap is complete. I have the 17X9 03 Cobra wheels on my car and all I had to do was roll the rear fenders a little. Good luck.

5o5speed said:
Don't waste your money on the FMS kit, it is way overpriced. Just do a little research and you can piece together a front and rear swap pretty easily without spending 2 grand on a kit. An axle here, a spindle there, from the salvage yards will save you big $$$. Just my 2 cents.

BTW--Those wheels should fit fine once the swap is complete. I have the 17X9 03 Cobra wheels on my car and all I had to do was roll the rear fenders a little. Good luck.

I know the kit is overpriced ... but I would rather spend the extra grand and not hunt and piece together all the parts needed for the swap. I hate making an extra trip to the autoparts store or driving all over creation just to have an equivalent used swap.
Ford made this kit just for guys like me.

Thanks for your input ... I won't mind rolling the lip a little, but I don't want to do all this work and spend the money to have wheels that stick out 1/4" too much :shrug:

CoupedUp said:
I know the kit is overpriced ... but I would rather spend the extra grand and not hunt and piece together all the parts needed for the swap. I hate making an extra trip to the autoparts store or driving all over creation just to have an equivalent used swap.
Ford made this kit just for guys like me.

Thanks for your input ... I won't mind rolling the lip a little, but I don't want to do all this work and spend the money to have wheels that stick out 1/4" too much :shrug:

I am with you, I paid $1800 Deleivered for my M-2300-K. This was after trying to piece a kit together with a bunch of used and new parts. When I wanted to add Cobra brakes to the front and rear I just decided the cost savings was not enough to justify the used stuff and sold it all. Everything was in the M-2300-K kit except for a bench bleeder for the M/C and the kit went together nice and smooth and no searching for stuff!

5o5speed said:

Yeah, my brakes were a waste. STFU. Good brakes are not cheap. If you want to trust your brakes with used parts, go ahead. Around here, there is no way you would find my current setup from the junk yards. Hell, fox III 5.0s or GTs are non-existant in the salvage yards around here, let alone SN95s.

MWORTERS said:
i would recomend getting the bear kit. imo its much better cause u get slotted and drilled rotors. i only paid 2k for my kit and i love it.

Oh great, here we go again with "Baer brakes are better", you can STFU to. Between Baer, Cobra, and the Bullet brakes, they are THE SAME THING. All three are dual piston design. If you really think "Baer is MUCH better" because of the rotors, more power to ya.

CoupedUp said:
I'm curious as to others opinions on the fitment of these wheels:

Ford's 17x9 Cobra R's have a 5.98" backspacing (and from all my recollection) they just tuck into the fenders on our foxes when mounted onto the M2300 Kit, right???

Sooo, If I pick up a set of these Wheel Replica 18x9 Bullitts http://www.wheelreplicas.com/bullitt.html with a 5.95" backspacing they should just tuck inside the fenders right? ...

.030" isn't much at all and I want to be assured before I throw down the $600 for wheels and the additional $600 for tires.

I think they will just squeak in and look great, what are your thoughts?

I believe they will work.

_jb_ said:
I believe they will work.

Aren't you running 17x9 Ford (not knock-off brand) Cobra R's on your vert with the M2300 kit??

Do you have any pictures you can post with a side shot so I can see how tucked/untucked the wheels are in reference to the fender lips?? This would give me a good enough visual aid to see whether the extra .03" will matter.

_jb_ said:
Oh great, here we go again with "Baer brakes are better", you can STFU to. Between Baer, Cobra, and the Bullet brakes, they are THE SAME THING. All three are dual piston design. If you really think "Baer is MUCH better" because of the rotors, more power to ya.

True, to an extent ... the front calipers are the same PBR 2 piston setup as the Cobras. Yes, the rotors are different (cross-dilled, slotted, zinc platted, 2 piece - if someone chooses those options) but so are the rear pieces. The rear PBR caliper is much bigger than the piece offered in the Cobra kit. Lastly, the Baer kit uses Dutchman axles that pretty much maintain the stock rear track width. The M2300K kit does not, this was something that really affected my decision for the wheels I was running. Both kits are nice but both have their differences. Just do the research to make an informed decision.

Does this help?

Attachments

• tire1.JPG
    tire1.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 110
If the wheels don't fit with the bullitts, you can buy the brackets from North Race Cars to pull the rear wheels in 0.75" each side. You would need the Fox lenght 5-lug axles as well.

It would be $150 for the brackets + cost of new axles. You could recoop your cost by selling the cobra brackets and SN95 axles.

This would pull your rear wheels in slightly.

I've been looking into the same wheel setup and guys have suggested i do that instead of running the SN95 offset.