19 pounds and cobra cpu!

aleborjas

Sep 11, 2005
i have 19pounds inyectors with cobra computer and smells fuel on the exhaust i have it with the stock 19's maff! i had 30puounds with 75mm maff and the the same computer (cobra) and it was ok! WTF?
with the 30pounder and 75mm maff calibrated for 30's works good.
now with 19pound inyectors and stock maff calibrated for 19's does not work....
what it should be?
vacuum leak?

• Sponsors (?)

aleborjas said:
i have 19pounds inyector with cobra cpu and smells fuel on the exhaust i have it with the stock 19's maff i had 30puounds with 75mm maff and the the same cpu (cobra) and it was ok! WTF?
what i should be?

A better speller, dude WTF are you asking? lol, sorry, but I can't understand a word you're saying. :shrug:

If you had 30lph injectors with a matched MAF, then that's why it worked. 19lph injectors on a cobra computer is a no-no, the computer thinks there's 24lph injectors.

Actually, the 30# calibrated maf should've worked only if the calibrater KNEW the car had a cobra maf...

If you're gonna run a cobra computer, you need to run 24's with the stock cobra maf to have everything working together like it should.

I think he is from South America - his English is better than my best second langauge. :)

I did not quite understand what he meant, but I dont think it is through any fault of his own.

Yup - in ALL the early Cobras - 93-5, the ecu compensates for the 24's, NOT the maf.

So, if you put an aftermarket maf in that's calibrated for 24's, and use a Cobra computer - it's gonna be RICH. If you want to use an aftermarket maf with Cobra computer and 24's, they should calibrate the meter with the same transfer function as a Cobra maf.

Then his stock non-cobra MAF with 24# injectors should work with the Cobra ECU. Correct?

I'm just trying to get this clear because I always thought that the Cobra MAF and ECU were specifically calibrated to work together. And that neither would work independantly without being recalibrated.

CochinoFilipino said:
Then his stock non-cobra MAF with 24# injectors should work with the Cobra ECU. Correct?

I'm just trying to get this clear because I always thought that the Cobra MAF and ECU were specifically calibrated to work together. And that neither would work independantly without being recalibrated.

GT's and Cobra's maf's are the same. The only difference is in the PCM/ECU.

Agreed. I guess it was cheaper to just change the calibration in the cobra puter than to have different MAF's for them. Seems logical to me (though I dont know if that was the reason).

Michael Yount said:
Yup - in ALL the early Cobras - 93-5, the ecu compensates for the 24's, NOT the maf.

So, if you put an aftermarket maf in that's calibrated for 24's, and use a Cobra computer - it's gonna be RICH. If you want to use an aftermarket maf with Cobra computer and 24's, they should calibrate the meter with the same transfer function as a Cobra maf.

I hate to do this but I gotta call ya on this one ....friend of mine has a 95 cobra , his tried swapping out to a 93 cobra MAF so he could run a different cold air set up on the car , dont ask me why but I hooked my wideband up to the car and air/fuel went LEEEAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN ,car ran 20 : 1 at idle and only richened up to 15.2 at WOT ..... so the MAF does have something to do with it atleast on the 94-95 models .....I dont know what the difference is but I think he needs to get a A9L computer and run the stock MAF and stock 19s and he shouldnt have any problems after that .........

aleborjas said:
i have 19pounds inyectors with cobra computer and smells fuel on the exhaust i have it with the stock 19's maff! i had 30puounds with 75mm maff and the the same computer (cobra) and it was ok! WTF?
with the 30pounder and 75mm maff calibrated for 30's works good.
now with 19pound inyectors and stock maff calibrated for 19's does not work....
what it should be?
vacuum leak?

The Cobra computer is calibrated for 24# injectors. That means with a Cobra EEC, you would need to run 24# injectors with a 19# MAF. I know it sounds weird but that how it is.

You either need 24# injectors, or swap to an A9L. The Cobra computer is crap anyway. You would be better off with an A9L from a regular 5.0.