1964 1/2 Mustang Starter Solenoid

ballajb64

Jul 13, 2006
California
I just did a efi swap on my 1964 1/2 Mustang and when it was time for me to start the car the starter solenoid started smoking and i guess eventually went out. Now when I try to start the car it is just a clicking noise. I am going to take the starter off and get it tested and I just ordered another Starter Solenoid. Does anyone have a diagram or can tell me what wires go where on the solenoid to make sure I had it connected correct or if not I can make sure I hook the new one up correct. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing wrong with the diagram.
If you put a screw driver across the Battery and Starter terminals the engine will turn over. The Ignition terminal does this internally.

I have the battery positive on the far left along with a wire that goes to the regulator box. Then the red with blue on the next terminal stud. Brown wire to the next terminal stud. Then the far right is connected to the starter

ballajb64:
I have the battery positive on the far left along with a wire that goes to the regulator box. Then the red with blue on the next terminal stud. Brown wire to the next terminal stud. Then the far right is connected to the starter

That sounds right. The solenoid may have fried because it is old, or the starter is going out. What were the results of the starter testing? Make sure you can turn the engine over by hand and it doesn't take excessive effort.

oh9mustang:
Nothing wrong with the diagram.
If you put a screw driver across the Battery and Starter terminals the engine will turn over. The Ignition terminal does this internally.

True, but it has nothing to do with the ignition terminal. The battery current sent through the screwdriver to the "S" terminal engages the solenoid coil pulling the maint contact plunger down completing the circuit out to the starter and the "I" terminal.

Solenoid.jpg