1965 289 Engine rebuild. Need help IDing purpose of threaded holes in block!

65poppy

Mar 29, 2008
Is anyone has some good pics I would really appreciate if you share them with me.

Here's pic #1. This is the rear of the block. What is this threaded hole for? Is this a threaded casting hole that is supposed to be plugged?

Engine4withQuestions.jpg

Thanks!
Steve-o

• Sponsors (?)

Is there no application, for a small block Ford for a pressure sending unit from the back of the engine?
I know that on all the engines I've worked on the oil pressure sending unit is up on the drivers side right above the oil filter.

Why would they need to bore a hole into the block, just for a mounting location?

Alex, what is "oil pressure sending unit?" For four hundred

Is that hole in the first picture an oil passage?

I have the oil pressure sending unit mounted toward the front of the motor next to the fuel pump. If the hole toward the rear of the motor is for an oil pressure sending unit I will need to plug it so oil doesn't squirt all over the place whenever I start this motor!

I also need to put the extension in and make sure this is the correct switch for guages.

OilPressureSeningUnit.jpg

Thanks,
Steve-o

So if I leave that hole open nothing is going to come out of it when I crank the motor up....like water or oil?

Thanks,
Steve-o

Is that hole in the first picture an oil passage?

Absolutely not an oil or water passage hole. It is a blind hole that doesn't go anywhere. You do not need to plug it.

I also need to put the extension in and make sure this is the correct switch for guages.

OilPressureSeningUnit.jpg

What you picture above is the ONLY factory location on a sbf block to check for oil pressure.

Yes you will need an extension to use a sending unit for gauges.

Absolutely not an oil or water passage hole. It is a blind hole that doesn't go anywhere. You do not need to plug it.

Why do you think Ford engineers took the time to thread a blind hole?

Steve-o

PS, can you take a look at this one too? I don't know what to do with this hole either...

Engine3withQuestions.jpg

Thanks!

I would like to know from 65 Poppy how you got the box w/ text, lines, circles and arrows ( sounds like a verse from Alice's Restaurant) into your posted pics? Would help me to be more specific when asking questions as well.

I looked closely at the 2 blocks I have and both have the same threaded holes. I made sure they were blind and then installed common 7/16 x 14 course threaded bolts in them. They were threaded that way for some type of mount. If they were for pressured lube they would have been tapped for NPT instead.

I've never seen either position used for anything other than maybe for a ground. It is possible that they may be there for use in some other application, like for commercial or boat use. Another guess is that Ford might have used them to hold a machining fixture. :shrug: Since motors have universal applications, they all were machined similarly on the production line.

I looked closely at the 2 blocks I have and both have the same threaded holes. I made sure they were blind and then installed common 7/16 x 14 course threaded bolts in them. They were threaded that way for some type of mount. If they were for pressured lube they would have been tapped for NPT instead.

I've never seen either position used for anything other than maybe for a ground. It is possible that they may be there for use in some other application, like for commercial or boat use. Another guess is that Ford might have used them to hold a machining fixture. :shrug: Since motors have universal applications, they all were machined similarly on the production line.

Someone mentioned the engine ground strap. Does the engine ground strap bolt into the hole on the passenger side? Where does the engine ground wire bolt to the motor?

Thanks,
Steve-o