1965 Mercury Comet Caliente 4 door - 289 Auto

washMO66

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
Washington, MO
My buddy's dad is a car collector, lots of family cars, some really neat, 36 Buick, 61 Starliner etc.

Well he also has this 65 Comet 4 door, with 43K original miles on it, always been inside (for the past 12 year, since grandma died, its in a fairly decent barn, so its seen a few mice)

I haven't pulled it out, but other than that its straight, paint is still decent for a driver and the interior is pretty cool, doors shut solid, glass is good, I think with a day of belts & hoses, tank drain, fluid changes priming and probably a gasket set or two I could have her humming reasonable well.

I want opinions based on this description of what you all think it is worth. Since I expressed interest he has pulled it out and may be doing some of the ground work for me. He told John (his son, my friend) that he would take $2K for it. I had told John before that I would pay between $1200 and $1500for it after I had given it the once over to make sure it is what I think it is.

My goal with it. My 13 year old sone first car, throw some vintage air in it, a littel stereo and maybe a skinny set of 17's on it, level out the suspension, drop it just a tad (not talking dubs here fellas, i'm pretty conservitive yet I understand what gen he is growing up in.)

Give me opinions here. My son can flip for about $500 of the car once he sees it and approves and then I can help him with the rest until he is working his steady summer job next year to make a couple of upgrades to it before he is 16.

• Sponsors (?)