1966 Carb Issue - Southeast Michigan

'66 Mike

Jun 3, 2015
Hello. I'm new to the forum, so I apologize for any etiquette gaffs.

Here is the car: 1966 Mustang convertible (3 speed) 200 cu inch 6 cylinder with performance mods (electronic fuel pump/regulator, modified cam, headers, electronic choke, and Weber 2-barrel carb). The issue: Starts fine, idles okay, runs a little rough at speed (45-55 mph), engine DIES during low velocity RIGHT turns (not left). This is especially seen from a stop/near stop. Sometimes the stall can be rescued by feathering the pedal, but usually just stops completely. Car can be immediately restarted (after placed in Park). Low gas is not an issue (occurs even when tank is near full).

I suspect a Carb issue (although the carb is only <5 years old, it has had adjustment issues), I don't know if it is the float bowl or another adjustment. Fuel pressure (on guage) reads 3 pounds. Another oddity - the engine does not die if hands are placed over the carburetor.

I am not an engine guy (much of the above was determined by reading and chatting with others). Is there a simple diagnostic to try and pin down the issue? Does anyone know of a reputable garage that is familiar with Weber Carbs and Mustangs in the Ann Arbor, Brighton area?

• Sponsors (?)

If you can put your hand over the carb. and it doesn't die you probably have a vacuum leak .Does it idle up when the carb. is covered ? Check rubber vacuum lines they may have a split or rotten .Check to see if the carb. mounting bolts are loose . One of the easiest leaks is the vacuum line to the modulator valve to transmission if it is an automatic ,the rubber lines split .