1966 Coupe Brake Job

Discussion in '1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-' started by Emberglo, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Emberglo

Emberglo New Member

Hello, I have a mechanic who is restoring my mother's 1966 Mustang. He has suggested that I consider doing a conversion from 4-Piston Drum to Disc Brake.
    Please share any thoughts and recommendations about this to help me and my mother make a good choice, i.e. safety vs. originality...
    Stainless Steel Brakes A120D
    Front 4-Piston Drum to Disc Brake Conversion Kit
    Thank you.

2. horse sence

horse sence Please don't call me Mom
    SN Certified Technician

Showcase:
    Albums:
    all for it .it would be a great improvement.another geat up grade is replace the single reservoir master cylinder with a duel reservoir master cylinder ,better and safer .

3. valley82

valley82 Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Yes the dual bowl master cylinder prevents total brake loss if a brake line cracks or brakes. Much safer. And the disk brake conversion is also a big safety booster.

4. rbohm

Founding Member

converting to front disc brakes from drums is always a good idea, as you get better and more consistent stopping power. and the conversion to a dual bowl master cylinder is also an excellent idea.

5. no1hedberg

no1hedberg Member

It's a no brainer. Upgrade to discs if you possibly can. Unless you are building strictly a show pony safety trumps originality every time. My advice is to shop selectively for your conversion kit. They aren't all the same. I was able to find a power disc kit with slotted rotors, 4 piston calipers, dual bowl master cylinder, proportioning valve, hoses and the works for around $900. Some non power kits cost that much. I not sure about the rules here for linking and such but if you want to pm me ill be glad to tell you where I got it.