1966 Mustang Fastback, 514 cubic inch engine? How too!?

• Sponsors (?)

heh, you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

get rid of the shock towers in the engine bay. totally redo the front suspension to handle all that massive weight. then have to do a new tranny,rear end, diffenrential, and axels so the power wont blow it all to pieces.

Cobain is right. There is a lot of work just to get the engine in but to get the rest of the car up to par to handle the power is overwhelming for us with shallow pockets :D
I will add that you must strengthen the car with subframe connectors and prefrebably a roll cage to not twist the car like a pretzel. 4 wheel disc brakes I would consider a must at this power level as well. Rear suspension must be addressed as well as TOTALLY redoing the front suspension. A race quality C4 (or equal) and a beefed 9" rear are required as well. Hopefully you have these other "quality pieces" already on the car.
If you can do it, more power to ya! I would love to see it :hail2:

say goodbye to your shock towers, nothing bigger than a 351c will fit in the engine compartment without removing them on a 65-66 car. that pretty much leaves you with one option, the mustang II front conversion which really isn't all that great. the front structure of the mustang is not designed to handle that kind of suspension since the shock towers are an integral part of the support structure for the mustang especialy the 65-66 cars which were never designed to handle anything bigger than a 289. starting in 67 the mustang became beefier in the front structure when the 390 became available. if you are going to go with the 514 you might as well just replace the entire front clip with a custom piece like one from martz chasis or somewhere and go ahead and back half the car and tub it too, no way you'll ever be able to get the car to hook up with a stock style leaf spring rear suspension.

bnickel said:
say goodbye to your shock towers, nothing bigger than a 351c will fit in the engine compartment without removing them on a 65-66 car. that pretty much leaves you with one option, the mustang II front conversion which really isn't all that great. the front structure of the mustang is not designed to handle that kind of suspension since the shock towers are an integral part of the support structure for the mustang especialy the 65-66 cars which were never designed to handle anything bigger than a 289. starting in 67 the mustang became beefier in the front structure when the 390 became available. if you are going to go with the 514 you might as well just replace the entire front clip with a custom piece like one from martz chasis or somewhere and go ahead and back half the car and tub it too, no way you'll ever be able to get the car to hook up with a stock style leaf spring rear suspension.

I almost totally concur with Bnickel, although I'm sure you could sufficiently brace the stock front subframe after a MII conversion if you're sufficiently talented in welding and do your homework. If not, I TOTALLY agree with Bnickel. :nice: