1966 Mustang Questions

• Sponsors (?)

in 65 the color would have been poppy red, code 3 ,i dont believe the color was carried over to 66, if it is the origional orange check the door tag ,if it has 5 didgits
it is a special order color usualy from the san jose plant in california ,known as the
rainbow of color cars,flower power orange, they had some prety wild colors
Well, I found a decoder online. From that, I was able to find out the info on the car. Originally it was:
Color: Z Sauterne Gold Metallic
Trim: 26 Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl, Standard Interior

Hmmmm, well. I am definitely NOT going back to the Sauterne! And I definitely understand why whoever previously owned it changed the paint color!

The paint color you were referring to is actually called Flower Power Red, although it is actually an orange/red color. And it was actually used on Mustangs starting in 1968 from what I can find in a brief search. It doesn't look anything like the orange that is on the car tho. I guess my only choice will be to take a flake of the paint and have a paint co figure out what color it is so I can get paint to match (cuz I really love that color!)

For your Power Steering components you will need, IIRC, a power steering center link and left inner and outer tie-rod ends, the pump and lines and control valve/ram. Again, with the exception 0f the pump these are somewhat '65-66 Mustang-specific. A very popular installation now is the Borgeson integral power steering box which eliminates many of the "issues" with the OE-style PS.

Keep searching this, and other, forums for more comments.

Just looked up the Borgeson steering kit..... $1,094!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY @*&#^)$%!!!! I was kinda thinking it would be in the $500 range. Hmmmmm........ I might have to get creative on this one...... That just seems awfully high for what you are getting.

Wow, so many things to spend $$$$ on........ what to do first???? That's the question......

i bet you thought mustangs would be cheep to work on didnt you
they used to be ,not any more .thats why i have so many projects
do what i can that doesnt cost any money, till i have to spend it
i may never get one done lol
3.jpg

Believe me, it is WAY cheaper than my Mercedes projects!!! lol!! :eek: And please do me a favor and refrain from posting any more pictures of my ex-wife.... :lol:

Reactions: 1 user
[quote="bartl, And to actually show you I know something about GM's, I believe the 229 shares the internal dimensions with the 305 and the 262 (4.3) shares it's with the 350. :)

ACTUALLY............................................... you are correct. I have sometimers....... Sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't! LOL! But yes, you are right. Thanks for jogging my memory! Been a while since I really messed with that engine....... :bang:[/quote]

No problem. Most times I don't remember what I had for breakfast....

The quarters are only bad at the very bottom.... rust issues. Rather than replacing the entire quarter, I think I am just going to buy the lower quarter replacements. Much cheaper that way. Besides, I don't really see the need to replace the entire fender when there is just a little rust issue at the bottom. Mustangs Umlimited has the quarter patch panels for like $22 ea. Seems like the way to go to me, unless someone on here knows something I dont???

On a different note, I have noticed a very strong gas smell within the cabin of the car when I fuel it up. Not sure what's causing it. Any suggestions?

If the rest of the quarters are okay, then a patch panel will work. On my '66 I did exactly that, but I did need to buy an outer wheelhouse patch as well. On one side I fabricated a 3 x 5 patch for the trunk drop off, on the other I bought a whole drop off as there were some pinholes along the bottom and I figured I'd rather not screw with it.

On the gas smell, the most common is the rubber filler hose that connects the filler with the tank. The next most common is pinholes in the top of the fuel tank, and the last most common (?) is a bad gasket or misaligned deck lid that allows fumes to be sucked from the vented cap back inside. There are also numerous small holes for bumper brackets, etc., that originally had bedding compound, or strip caulk sealing them. Put a battery powered lantern in the trunk, shut the lid and turn off the lights at night and look for light.

I was also wanting to ask a stereo question..... What are all of your thoughts about putting a stereo in these things? They have the "old style" look radios which allow you to preserve the originality of the car. But is it really worth it, or is it better just to modify the car to use a common stereo? Since this is a standard coupe with a straight 6, I don't see where modifying it to use a modern stereo would really hurt the value. If it were a shelby or a convertible or whatever, I could see where it would matter. But I am thinking it really wouldn't matter on this car. Ain'r like this car is gonna have a $60k price tag either way....... Thoughts???? I am kinda leaning towards modifying it for a common stereo...

I was also wanting to ask a stereo question..... What are all of your thoughts about putting a stereo in these things? They have the "old style" look radios which allow you to preserve the originality of the car. But is it really worth it, or is it better just to modify the car to use a common stereo? Since this is a standard coupe with a straight 6, I don't see where modifying it to use a modern stereo would really hurt the value. If it were a shelby or a convertible or whatever, I could see where it would matter. But I am thinking it really wouldn't matter on this car. Ain'r like this car is gonna have a $60k price tag either way....... Thoughts???? I am kinda leaning towards modifying it for a common stereo...

To get a modern stereo to work you need to cut the dash. Good enough reason for me to go the route of converting an original radio to an AM/FM/MP3 - - - http://garytayman.com/stereo.htm

To get a modern stereo to work you need to cut the dash. Good enough reason for me to go the route of converting an original radio to an AM/FM/MP3 - - - http://garytayman.com/stereo.htm

That's really cool....... kinda steep price tag.... I liek the idea.... but since the loing term value of this particular model wont be affected that much by cutting the dash, I am still batting it around..... I appreciate you posting that link. It gives me more to ponder :)

Next question.... for safety sake, I want to convert our stang to have an over the shoulder seat belt system rather than just the lap belt system. I am guessing that there is more than one manufacturer/system for the car. I can research the net all day long, but all manufacturers like to toot their own horn. I am more interested in hearing what others have done/used and what their opinions are.

I have a question for y'all about headers.... do you know of a good brand out there that you don't have to freaken tweek and tighten every few months? I have had bad experiences with headers in that regards. I would like the extra fuel mileage and power, just don't wanna be ducking under the hood every other month working on the dang things!!! THAT SUCKS!

Also, from everyone's experiences, what spark plugs give you the very best power/fuel mileage for the 200ci? My biggest concern, honestly, is sipping out all of the fuel mileage outta this baby that I can get. So any tips on that would be greatly appreciated. Since my daughter will be driving it, I am not really as concerned with hp as I am with mpg. Maybe it has something to do with the high freakin price of gas now days, ya think??? lol

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! View attachment 148604

I really appreciate all the help!

ex wife? dude thats a self portrait. i have been collecting and restoring mustangs so long
people say i am starting to look like a horse :rlaugh:

Upon second thought, you are right... my ex looks more like this.....
(for those of you wondering what the difference is, my pic is of an actual jackass....)

Attachments

• donkey.jpg
    donkey.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 147
If you look like one, does that mean you can run like one??? :rlaugh:
no i am more of a whipping horse they just slap me around and tell me what to do
havnt been able to reply or any thing last two days ,clicked on stang net saturday
and my computer went nuts and totaly crashed .dont know what the hell happend
i lost every thing again ,pics,invoises ,all my programming. its taken two days just
to get every thing running again,now for some reason i cant access the internet
i am using my moms computer right now there is no way i am buying a new system
i can use that money elsewere ,i have 8 alerts right now i just havnt been able to reply
guess i am SOL for awhile