Progress Thread 1967 Fastback Project

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by Ryan Miller, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Ryan Miller

Ryan Miller Member

Should I jack up the rear frame rails?

I have had it on the jig the entire time before the old quarters were taken off.

The pass rear quarter where it meets the trunk/window filler is a about 1/8 inch high too. The driver side is good. I have the frame level from side to side.

That is about all I can think of right now.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. horse sence

horse sence Please don't call me Mom SN Certified Technician

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Mark your jig first then raise it ,that way you can return to where you were
    but it sounds like it is sagging . i replaced quarters on a 67 fast back that had one rail bent down due to rear end damage and it fit the same way .When i raised the frame rail where it was supposed to be the quarter fit. it was about 1/2 inch down

3. Ryan Miller

Ryan Miller Member

OK, will do tomorrow morning and report back.

As you probably read in my build thread on the front end - I know 1/4-1/2 inch can make a big difference on sheet metal alignment.

Thanks!

:bang:

4. Ryan Miller

Ryan Miller Member

OK, so I:

1. jacked the rear of the frame rails up some and it did not seem to do much

So I started looking around and decided to make darn sure that nothing could be interfering with the fit up front, so I:

2. Then ended up trimming a little more off the front edge of the quarter at the window edge gutter up at the front of the quarter panel/roof overlap

3. and cut another spot weld up higher there

4. then trimmed just a little off the front top of the quarter where it meets the drip rail and the top

5. lastly I cut the spot welds loose on the drip rail at the back and gently bent it forward out of the way.

Now it fits a lot better and more even fit. It still doesn't want to just fall into place, and it takes some massaging, however I think it will work there.

Right now I am working on getting that trunk to quarter corner to fit up better. I have made some relief cuts and now working on getting the fit better. I also adjusted the deck lid a little more up slightly which helped too.

Will post some more photos later today as hopefully it will look better.

Thanks for the advice! It really helps to have some help when I am too blind to see things straight! :doh:

5. Ryan Miller

Ryan Miller Member

NOW I am trying to get the quarters to fit around the deck lid.

I made the cut that a friend of mine does to fix the longer quarter at the filler panel to get the gap closer. I just spot welded it for now. It usually welds and cleans up nicely.

My biggest problem is the curvature of the rear quarters is 1/4 or more above the deck lid corners and the deck lid comes very close to bottoming out.

I worked on it for hours and hours today and even started making relief cuts to try and reshape that corner.

Right now I want to throw these out and order Dynacorn. Nate at Thoroughbred GT told me he had revised the corners and the length issues to make things fit better, but I think the guys at the warehouse gave me an older pair that don't have the revisions.

I am discouraged now and wasted several days on these "edited for content (BLEEPED OUT)" panels.

The last photo looks bad, but it is like when you are doing surgery and all the guts are out, it looks bad, but I haven't warped the exterior panel.... yet.

:bang::doh::dammit::hide:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. horse sence

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Just the exact opposite of the Dynacorn panels, the trunk lid corners hit high and the quarters were low .I placed a wood block under the trunk corners in the quarters and raised it with a porta power. It fit really well after and made no dents.
    I see what you mean about the lines not being crisp enough ,Diss like . Those are almost round . The Dynacorn are a lot sharper ,you can see the lines . IMG_3087.JPG IMG_3132.JPG

7. Ryan Miller

Ryan Miller Member

Jim,

I am pretty certain these are not the revised panels Nate at Thoroughbred GT told me about. I picked up the panels in Lewisville, TX just north of me at the Golden Star Automotive warehouse. I think the guys there gave me the older panels by mistake. They were very friendly so I am going to call them and Nate tomorrow and see what the (bleep) happened.

If I don't get very far, I will drive over to Dallas Mustang and get a pair of Dynacorn in silver weld thru primer.

What a waste of time and money!

Are there any other issues you normally have with Dynacorn rear quarter panels?

8. horse sence

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Just the length difference of about 1/8 inch and a little low at the trunk corners ,they were actually very nice .Good crisp lines and the problems were easy to fix.
    Edit .. the spot welds needed to be drilled at the end down low where the end cap sets ,where the quarter ends are spot welded to the quarter .the bottom of the quarter turned out just a bit,
    it was easy to fix.