1967 Fastback

Indo784

May 3, 2004
Hey, this is my first post here and I'd like to say that this is a great site and I've learned a lot about Mustangs from it.

I'm looking for a 1967 Mustang Fastback. I hope to fix it up so I don't want one with all the work complete. If you know of any sites where I could look for one, or anywhere around the Indiana area that has one, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

The top 2 online car selling sites would probebly be:

http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/

and

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

Of course there are many many more sites, but these 2 seem to have the most classic vehicles for sale, and are very current. Getting thousands of new cars listed every day.

But as always, when buying a car online before seeing it in person, it's best to use a inspection service prior to purchase. It could be the best 400-500$ you've ever spent, saveing you from a potential lemon.

I have purchased cars from both ebay and classic autotrader and I had no problems with either service.

And one last thing, if your looking to buy a 67 fastback, you should expect to drop alot of money for one. The 67/68 fastbacks are quickly becomming scarce because there are lots of new car companies buying them all up and useing them to make gone in 60 seconds gt-500 eleanor clones. I think there are currently 5-6 majior eleanor clone companies out there right now, and since fastbacks are more rare then coupes, and these companies are buying them all up, it's supply and demand. So naturally the price of 67/68 fastbacks has skyrocketed. I'v seen some terrible 67 fastbacks covered in cancer, with litterally no interior, no engine/tranny, no floorpans ect... sell in the 4k+ range. And the mint condition fastbacks are in the 20k range. So for a decent condition fastback, expect 10-12k. Unless of course you wanna do a ton of cutting/welding work to the frame/body, then buy one of the basket cases for alot cheaper.

This might sound like alot, but remember that these cars are only becomming scarcer and rarer, so the price will only continue to climb, so you might as well get one now before they go up any higher.

That one you found on classictrader actually looks pretty good for the asking price.

What I'v noticed is the fastbacks on ebay tend to go for more than fastbacks on other sites. I think it's cause the clone builders frequently bid on the ebay auctions driveing up the values.

At any rate, the red 67 doesn't list alot of info, so the first thing to do is call the guy. And ask him some basic questions, like has the car been in any acidents, is there any rust, if so where and how bad is it. Original engine/tranny? Are they number matching? Does it run? How many miles on the engine, ect.. ect..

And if you do decide to buy it, go to pick it up in person, don't have it trailered to you. Because if you go and pick it up in person, you can inspect the car for yourself before forking over the cash.

But from the looks of it, it seems like its a nice find. I'm sure it would go for 7k+ if it was on ebay. I'd just wanna get more info on it, and possibly more pictures as well.

Yeah, I wanted to get some more info on it before taking 2 hrs out of my day to drive out and look at it. But it does look good for how much he's asking. Thanks for all the help again guys. Hopefully in the near future I'll have a 67' Fastback to show off on here.

Well I just got an e-mail back from the guy and it needs a lot of work. Its definately a fixer-uper. It doesn't run or have a tranny. Interior needs some more work, good news is body, frame, and floors look good and the only rust is a small hole in the trunk lid.

I'm just not sure after seeing the rest of these pics if it is worth it. What do you think?

Here's a link to the pics 67 Fastback

torque boxes look rusty, but thats the worst thing I see, kinda hard to tell from pictures. I'd go look at it if I was in the market.

Well at least hes honest about it by showing the extra pictures and not joshing you about it.

It does look to be in alittle ruffer condition than I expected, I would try and haggle the price down a bit based on the condition its in. Tell him "your breaking my balls" with that asking price and the current vehicle condition.

Gotta be realistic about what it's gonna take to restore it, so get em to drop the price a bit.

Thats one of the advantages of autotrader over ebay, you can haggle with the seller to drop the price.