1967 Hood mounted turn signals

boatillo

Jun 10, 2006
I swear I just read a thread about this a day or more ago and it gave me an inkling of what is wrong. Here it goes - brand new repro harness for these hood mounted turn signals, new bulbs, all other parts cleaned etc.

1) Plug it into the dual prong running out of firewall (one side needed a short for engine?) and other side seems to be for these signals. Here is a pic:

wire_1.jpg

2) Screw in the 2 grounding leads where it seems like they should go! I say this because the old metal tabs were still attached to these points.

wire_2.jpg

And then I get the classic response - hood signal on passenger side stays on nonstop while the other does nothing. Help!

• Sponsors (?)

That is the combo lead for backup lights and neutral lockout (the loopback side - you must have a manual trans or your neutral safety is bypassed - car will not start without it.) Hood blinker lights split off the main harness over by the hood hinge. You should have a lead from the trans that plugs in where you are now.

WHOOPS! Hehe, yea my engine guy had to install that loopback to make the new engine start - guess we lost a plug somewhere when we disassembled!

I will carefully look for another lead coming from the main harness! Do I at least have the grounds correct? Last night I added a grounding wire from hood to cowl in the hopes that was what was wrong, but no go.

boatillo said:
WHOOPS! Hehe, yea my engine guy had to install that loopback to make the new engine start - guess we lost a plug somewhere when we disassembled!

I will carefully look for another lead coming from the main harness! Do I at least have the grounds correct? Last night I added a grounding wire from hood to cowl in the hopes that was what was wrong, but no go.
Is your car a manual if not get a natural safety switch other wise you can crank the car while it is in gear.

Err no, heh, its the original C4 auto. What exactly is this natural safety switch and where can I buy one? Is it a paddock/cjponyparts kinda thing or an autozone kinda thing?

boatillo said:
Err no, heh, its the original C4 auto. What exactly is this natural safety switch and where can I buy one? Is it a paddock/cjponyparts kinda thing or an autozone kinda thing?
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...~S1UQ0UINKC12402510535a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000016A

You should also be able to get for local parts stores. This device makes sure you are in park “or natural I think” before the car will start other wise you can crank the car while in gear causing it to move unexpectedly. It also has the contact to control the reverse lights.

There should be a plastic, half circle box attached to the trans where the shifter linkage attaches. It will have a four wire harness coming out that plugs into the harness you've been playing with. The plastic box is keyed to the gear selector and knows when you are in park or neutral to let the car start, or in reverse to turn on the backup lights.

Dropped by autozone at lunch and they couldn't even get one (of course), cost 50+ dollars out of a resto catalog, and after seeing the picture of one I KNOW I've seen it around my house or in some box. Too bad I just took a load of old crap to the dump yesterday (DOUH!) might have been in there.

I will look under the car this afternoon and try to get a better idea on whats there and what isn't. Thanks guys!

Well got those signals working wonderfully after I used the right plug and replaced the emergency flasher fuse!

Couldn't find my old neutral safety switch, I'll pick one up sometime.