1967 Shelby GT500E Super Snake Edelbrock Passion Video Contest

• Sponsors (?)

HEY 67Fastback! I didn't stop to think that you'd be on stangnet too....I saw and commented on the original movie you posted on youtube. ON THAT NOTE, I mentioned how I thought your power and torque ratings were a little low. In response you said that you weren't firing on all cylinders and needed to "tune" it. In that case, I believe your chances of the video getting picked up would be greater if you refilmed a new dyno run displaying your current tune and engine state. Furthermore, how much power did you really get out of "tuning" it? While I'm not for a second dogging your engine combo, I was relatively shocked at the lower numbers. It might have been a fluke or advertising error, but I remember seeing somewhere that the the Shelby GT-500E supercharged engine was suppose to churn out "725+HP". And with 575rwhp that puts you right in at 676.47 bhp. Please let me know what you found out, I'm interested in seeing what your car can really do.

P.S.- I don't know if it would disqualify you from the Edelbrock award or whatever, but I think it's safe to say that your RPM cylinder heads are holding your combo back. While they aren't slouches, a set of 100cc Blue Thunder cylinder heads would REALLY wake up your engine combo.

HEY 67Fastback! I didn't stop to think that you'd be on stangnet too....I saw and commented on the original movie you posted on youtube. ON THAT NOTE, I mentioned how I thought your power and torque ratings were a little low. In response you said that you weren't firing on all cylinders and needed to "tune" it. In that case, I believe your chances of the video getting picked up would be greater if you refilmed a new dyno run displaying your current tune and engine state. Furthermore, how much power did you really get out of "tuning" it? While I'm not for a second dogging your engine combo, I was relatively shocked at the lower numbers. It might have been a fluke or advertising error, but I remember seeing somewhere that the the Shelby GT-500E supercharged engine was suppose to churn out "725+HP". And with 575rwhp that puts you right in at 676.47 bhp. Please let me know what you found out, I'm interested in seeing what your car can really do.

P.S.- I don't know if it would disqualify you from the Edelbrock award or whatever, but I think it's safe to say that your RPM cylinder heads are holding your combo back. While they aren't slouches, a set of 100cc Blue Thunder cylinder heads would REALLY wake up your engine combo.

Thanks! I am planning on a new dyno run in the next couple of weeks. I was really kinda disappointed at the "low numbers" of the dyno run. But I don't pull punches. I call a spade a spade. And if my car does not put down the numbers, then I will post it. But in defense, it was a 90 degree day, and the valves (I did not appreciate that KC did not have them right) were not correct. I think I have them right now. I will take her back to the dyno and hopefully, the power plant will show what she really has ( but don't we all want that).

The power plants that UP is putting in their cars are NOT putting out RWHP as to what they claim. They have had a few people complaining about the reality of it all. But realistically, getting above 600 RWHP is difficult. I feel that Medusa will break that barrier. But that will have to be proven. And when it does, I will most definitely post it.

And as for the heads, KC would not put the Shelby heads on this engine. They are ..., well, not as good as the Edelbrock head, when they have been worked on.

I appreciate your demeanor and how you worded your concerns. Professional!

67FBack, Just to clarify a few things things:

-What kind of dyno where you testing on? Because very often that can vary the registered power output.

-As for the "Shelby" heads, I know from reading over their specs they would bottle neck the needs of a supercharged engine of that size. Yet in stock form, the Edelbrock RPM heads that are claimed to come with the 500E sueprcharged flow even less and with smaller valves too. I don't know how much the RPM heads can be ported and polished BUT I would highly recomend researching other cylinder head options. The only problem with this however is that there aren't enough FE cylinder head options out there to really wake up the engine. Because Shelby is building his engines off of obsolete 1960's engine platforms, no modern company (EXCEPT SHELBY) can visualize a profit from the production of powerful cylinder heads for these engines.

Therefore, what I'm trying to say is, you should either get your heads drastically ported (assuming they are stock Edelbrock RPM's) or perhaps search for alternative companies which offer 460 cylinder head conversions. If in the end you weren’t happy with the power your mustang was putting down, I believe that would be your best power increasing option which wouldn't adversely affect the drivability of the car (like a larger supercharger unit and higher lift and duration cam would).

I think this is for another post for another time BUT, I am really interested in finding out if there are any 460-> 427 FE cylinder head conversions out there. IF SO, there are a plethora of higher (than “stage II Shelby”) flowing cylinder heads currently on the market. For instance: Blue Thunder 100cc (Coast High Performance), A460 (Twisted Wedge) cylinder heads are your best options just to name a few.

At any rate, good luck! And keep us posted.