1968 Mustang 289 question.......help please

farbyhardcore

Oct 5, 2004
East Coast
I just got a 1968 Mustang hardtop. I was looking in the engine. Does anyone know what kind of fluid goes in the white container on the front fright side of the engine. I would put a picture of it. But I unfourtunatley can't do that. I happened to notice that this container was emtpy. And I want to know what it is, in case it needs to be filled. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

it is either radiator fluid, like excess or your windshild washer bag...but you said container, so i'm gonna go with extra coolant container...ill post a pic...

5535kf.jpg

this should be the excess coolant reservoir

Attachments

• 5535kf.jpg
    5535kf.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 76
As others have said, you really need to trace the hose that is connected to it to be sure, but on 68's, the white container on the driver side is for windshield. Over the years, someone could have easily repurposed this for a coolant overflow tank, so it's best to trace the lines to be sure.

jcode68 said:
As others have said, you really need to trace the hose that is connected to it to be sure, but on 68's, the white container on the driver side is for windshield. Over the years, someone could have easily repurposed this for a coolant overflow tank, so it's best to trace the lines to be sure.

When it leaks it usually will leak at the windshield washer foot pump and into your carpet. When you step on it will automatically activate your wipers so if it was dry you will be running your wipers (or lack of) on a dry windshield.

'67s used it too, was really nice as an alternative method of having intermittent wipers without really having them. The wiper switch still works, the foot pedal is a manual pump for the squirter which caused a single swipe of the wiper from an electrical connection.