1968 Mustang Fastback - Identifying Replacement Intake Manifold And Carburetor

Henderson208

Jun 18, 2014
I am new to posting online, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I have a 1968 Mustang fastback that was given to me by my father. He is now terminally ill and is unable to help me. He always told me that I needed to replace the intake manifold because it leaks and the Holley carburetor. I remember him saying that it has a 302 and 4-11 gears, but I don't know where to find the numbers to determine the type of engine. The Holley carburetor has 1850-2 2286 on it and the intake manifold has C40E-9425-B on it. I am trying to determine the type of replacement carburetor and manifold that will work on it. I can look for more numbers if needed and even provide pictures. Thank you for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

Any small block ford 289-302 intake will bolt right on but you will probably want a duel plane manifold such as a Edelbrok performer .A 600 Holey vacuum secondary would go great with the Edelbrok . If you are wanting the cast iron intake you will want one with a part number starting with C8oe for a 68 , the C40e intake you have is from a 64 1/2 -early 65 289. Look above the starter on the engine block and you will see a part number, if it is the 68 block it will start with C8 for 68 .68 can have a 289 or a 302 depending on the month it was built .Your vin number will tell you what motor you are supposed to have , a C in the fifth digit is a 289 2v motor . An A in the fifth digit is a 289 4V .An F is a 302 2V, and a J in the fifth digit is a 302 4V and more desirable than all the others .Except for an S code and that would be a 390 4V.

Why replace the carb? The Holley 1850-2 is easy to rebuild, modify and they make good power and mpg. A quick change secondary spring kit and an electric choke are cheaper than a new carb. And andy good Edelbrock or Holley 4bbl manifold will be drilled for it.