1969 351w flywheel

Mr67Stang

Feb 10, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
I have a '69 351w that I was running my old 289 flywheel on for years. That flywheel was smoked so now I want to get a new forged steel flywheel. I no longer have the 289 flywheel so I do not know if it was 157 or 164 tooth and I have no idea if it was 28oz or internal ballance, imballance or whatever other combinations of ballance are available. I did have a problem of this engine eating starters like candy though. They would just burn up, no loss of teeth. I always figured it was due to the reletively high compression (11.2:1) or the headers being so close to the starter. So any help I can get selecting as new flywheel would be greatly apreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I was running the original 289 bell housing so, I probably had the 157 tooth flywheel. I was going to put my Lakewood scatter shield on when I reassemble and I do not know which flywheel it would use but I imagine I can compare where the starter bolts are located to determine which I need. i.e. if the bolts are slightly farther out from center compared to the 289 bellhousing then I would need the 164 tooth flywheel.

The Lakewood probably has two starter bolt patterns; one for 157t flywheels and one for 164t flywheels. I know my McLeod does, anyway. If you use a 164, be sure to get the right starter, too.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/ford starters.pdf

Yes, the 15200 Lakewood also has both flywheel patterns:

MiniStarter023.jpg

There is a knockout in the separator plate that gets removed to use a 164t flywheel for the starter. Its already removed in the above plate. The old 289 starter will work with a 157 tooth flywheel but the 164t requires a different one (due to a different ring gear depth, IIRC.)

Attachments

• MiniStarter023.jpg
    MiniStarter023.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 265
Took me a while to get back to this. But thank you all, very helpful. I have a hard enough time deciding what I want on my pizza. When it comes to my car, I am like an 18 yr old girl trying to pick out a prom dress.

Reactions: 1 user