1969 Covertible - 302..opinions On My Ride Height Issues

Long story.... I've had the car for just a year. Immediately I was having issues with tire rub up front and fixed a few things. The bump/stops were missing, a stiffer (1") sway bar was added and new stock springs were added. While in there, control arms were done as well. The tire still catches top (apex) of fender cut out when turning sharply on a slight incline (think driveways) even at slow speed. It seems to do this more on the driver side than passenger. The geometry of car could be less than perfect (I don't have the complete history) but I don't believe there was any serious front end collisions.

The wheel size on is a 15" x 7" rim, tire is a Cooper 215/70R15. I plan to switch to Magnum 500 wheels and TA Radials. The most common sizes that I see at shows are 15" x 8" with 225/60 tires.

I thought the original springs were either sagging or weak so I had replaced them while I was replacing control arms (bushings were shot). I don't believe I gained any ride height. My front ride height today is 26.25" from ground to top of center cutout of fender. 14" from wheel center to top of center cutout of fender.

I am planning a front disc conversion and will more or less have the opportunity to change my springs again. Should I consider a higher riding spring? Any advice on how to select something? I have done a lot of reading and haven't seen anything concrete regarding standard ride height for the '69. I like somewhat bigger tires. I see guys with 225/60s TA Radials all the time and I love the way they look. But are they having similar issues? How the heck to people with lowered cars avoid killing their fenders?

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    345.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the replies Gents. I will measure my backspace today when I have a wheel off. While the fenders are not rolled, it looks like someone trimmed them at one time. The lip is only about 5/8" - 3/4" wide.

I'm also thinking about 215/60 in the TA Radial but I know that I've seen many mustangs with 225/60 and 235/60 with these tires and what would appear to be much more clearance than I'm seeing with my Coopers.

I still have to check my backspace to see if that is the origin of the problem. Here is where I will admit my ignorance: I think I put the wrong springs in the front. I put Moog 8088 springs in the front. I remember doing my research and reading someplace of others who used these springs in their v8 mustangs but now when I read the Moog specs, they are clearly for v6 and the smaller v8 (260) cars? In retrospect, I should have gone with the 8330 springs. Moog 8088 free height = 14.96 vs Moog 8330 free height = 16.63.

Has anyone used Moog springs? I'm interested in any feedback.

My disc conversion is going well - actually having someone doing it for me. While they were in there, I had them clean up the bottom of the shock towers and weld in the Boss reinforcement plates. We are having issues with changing my coil springs for a higher ride height. The springs that were in there are Moog 8088 (free height = 14.96") and we tried to put Moog 8304 (free height = 16.38"); however, we cannot get them to fit even when fully compressed. Both of these springs are a "fit" according to Moog literature. Are 1969 Mustang springs known to be this difficult to change? I could really use some help here... I am looking for another 1" of lift in the front.