1969 Mustang...new Rear Drums Rubbing

Did I do something wrong? I had a cracked rear drum so I thought I would simply buy some new drums. Not so easy...I had to order them online. I measured my drum to be sure and came up with 10x2. I ordered a pair of Raybestos rear drums, 10x2 (see picture of carton). Me being naive, painted and installed them without looking closely. The drums started rubbing the back plates.....nice. I pull them off and then use the tape measure (better late than never?) and behold..there is a 1/4" difference in the overall width and the surface area where the pads ride. Is this a common issue or did they send the wrong drums?

IMG_1901.JPG IMG_1902.JPG IMG_1903.JPG IMG_1904.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe if someone could tell me the proper way to measure a drum? I've done some more reading and can see that there were 1-3/4" drums for some v8s, but I'm not coming up with 1-3/4" when I measure the area where shoe rides....

Those drums might be for a different rearend. Take the original drums into the shop with you and make sure they give u the right ones. U should be able to find em at kragens or napa

shem

Yeah...I should have done that at the start. I bought them from a "mustang specialty site" online and, now that I go back and re-read, their descriptions are ambiguous at best.

I called other retailers initially but came up blank. Heck, I even tried a few "yards" and was shocked that I couldn't even find a used drum. The last time I owned a classic car was over 30 years ago (1967 Cougar XR7). They still were making parts for it....

Just for closure: In the end it turns out that I did indeed order the incorrect drums. For anyone who cares: My drums were actually 10" x 1-3/4"; however, if you measure the drum surface you will come up with 2", which is what I did. To summarize, if you look at my pictures you can see that the 1-3/4" drum surface measures 2", and the 2" drum surface measures 2-1/4". I may have read someplace that you can measure the pad width for the correct drum width spec however I can't confirm this.

Reactions: 1 user