1969 Suspension Build

I've heard a lot about this site and have read some very informative threads so here's my question.
I have a 1969 Mach 1 that I'm going to install the 5.0 motor in. The body work is almost done and I'm looking at buying a Total Cost Involved suspension system for the car. Has anyone installed this system or are there any pros and cons in doing so? I haven't totally commited yet as the shock towers are still in but I'm within 6 weeks of ordering the TCI system.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

• Sponsors (?)

TCI makes an excellent product, and if you are going with a small block it is a very good choice. In fact, I was literally on the phone with them (by the way I can refer you to an excellent guy out of Seattle who can get you the kit for a great price) with my credit card info when I found out that my engine choice (351C) was not compatible. Anyways, I ended up NOT going with the TCI, mostly for that reason.

This turned me to Rod & Custom. They make a crossmember specifically for the 351, so I went with them. As far as the kit quality: Excellent. I am extremely happy. Honestly, if I was going to do it again, and build a 5.0 60's Mustang I would call Rod & Custom in a heartbeat. Basically, everything they give you is pretty much what you get with the TCI kit. HOWEVER, I do believe a little more thought was put into this kit. Over all it does not seem as flashy, but I think it might be a better kit over-all. For one things, the guys who designed it have been around a long time, where TCI is a bit of a new-comer to this market. These guys do one thing only, which is this type of suspension.

Also the RC kit includes all your linkage for steering- something TCI did not include, or at least in the package I looked at. Cost was about neck-and-neck.

TCI makes it easy to install, but R & C makes it easier, IMHO. With TCI you need to box your frame rails in yourself, and them trim to get it to fit. R&C comes with the boxing already welded to the crossmember. Much easier to install, and you still get the same boxing. Also, the welds on the crossmember are second to none.

Anyways, I don't get a referral perk or anything, I'm just passing on my experience. We just cut out the shock towers on mine today, and Thurs we will most likely weld it in.

I think TCI makes a great kit, but I would seriously check out the Rod & Custom stuff too. If your looking for flashy documentation, a pretty website, and cool stickers you will be disappointed. TCI does have that. Call the guys at RC though and just talk to them about it. They will talk to you for hours. When I called TCI they didn't have much to say.

Just my $.02! I will be following. Also follow my thread- you will see everything in action over the next week or two.

crane550,
Thank you for the information which came at the right time as I got a quote yesterday from TCI . In the three times we've talked to them we've gotten three different prices and when I got the written quote it was even higher than the verbal quotes. I'm frustrated. My friend bought one a while back that was a little nicer kit and it's $1,400.00 less than the quote I got. But I would have to pay extra for the crossmember for the Coyote which is understandable.When I wrote my post I didn't mention that I was going to install the Coyote 5.0 and not the 302 motor. Sorry. We expect to hear back from TCI one more time. If it doesn't feel right then it time to move on.

Your guy in Seattle. Is that Tim by chance?

My friend did touch base with Rod and Custom, a few minutes ago, and he seems like a straight shooter. Said his prices have stayed consistant for years with maybe only the power rack going up. R&C has a catalog headed our way so I'm on hold for a little bit.

Worst comes to worst I'll look at Global West and go a different route with the motor also. The shock towers are still in and I'm in no hurry to build this car. I just want to do it right the first time and not have to look back later on and kick myself for not looking into other manufacturers products.

I'll let you know how all this works out.

Thanks again,

Jim

I do believe it was Tim. I ended up not ordering from him, as the TCI kit didn't suit my needs, but I can say he was extremely helpful, and in the end I wished I could have given him my business, as he put forth a great effort to get me what I needed.

I am not too familiar with the Coyote 5.0, is is along the lines of a 4.6 modular? If it has the same mounting brackets, then most kits should have no issue getting the mounts right. TCI ships it pre-fabbed, IIRC, and so does R&C.

If you are going to go with that engine, (assuming it is a modular) I think the suspension and mounts are the least of your worries. From what I understand, the wiring and transmission are more difficult. Possible, but a little more tricky then a typical small block upgrade. I briefly looked into the 4.6 for my project, and from what I gathered getting it to mount to the TCI or RC crossmember would not be an issue.

Do you have the engine already?

I have not bought the motor yet.

The Coyote and 4.6 are miles apart. I believe they kept a couple of parts from the 4.6 but it's really a new engine built for performance. All aluminum, 4 valve and built for boost. I have heard nothing but good things about this motor especially from the owners of a couple of performance shops here in the DFW area. I've heard of a few Mustangs that have been boosted to 620rwhp. The motor weighs in at 430 lbs +/- a few lbs. There was an article in 5.0 and Fast Fords, I believe, last year that I read and I was extremely impressed with what Ford did to this motor. I think they're finally hearing all us Ford guys loud and clear from the last few years.

I was going to install the 5.4 GT-500 motor in the car but the price increased by 30 something %. All I'm looking for is 550rwhp and the Coyote is great option at 1/3 the price of a 5.4 GT-500 motor.

Still thinking TCI or RC. Should have my mind made up next week.

This engine had to remain close to the same physical size of the outgoing 4.6, and share other specifications with it such as bore spacing, deck height, bell housing bolt pattern, etc. in order for the engine to utilize existing Modular production line tooling.

Just did some reading on it. It looks like the Coyote 5.0 might bolt up the same as the 4.6. If you put photos next to each other I don't know if I could tell them apart. Anyways, you might get lucky as far as being able to use the Mod 4.6 RC mounts. I would certainly double check that, but my bet is it will drop right in. Please keep us updated, I am really looking forward to seeing your build.

Welded the RC kit in today. Was a breeze. Took all of 2 hours.

I believe you're right. The only thing I think I'll have to do is some trans tunnel work to fit the T56 transmission. Not sure how much right not but that is a few months on down the road.

What is your project ie: year, body type, restomod or close to original? Do you have a thread going on the build? Pictures? Sounds interesting. I would like to see what you're doing as well. Sounds like you're a couple months ahead of me. Congrats on getting the RC kit in. Nice to cross off items on the list huh?

I'll start posting pictures and the trials and tribulations once I get whatever kit I go with. Going to order one of them next week. Still looking at TCI and RC. My friend that's helping me talked to Scotts Street Rods and they have done some nice work but when I looked on their website they mostly have GM projects posted. They seem pretty sharp. I like RC as it sounds like they've done mostly Mustangs.