1970 Grande won't start; looking for thoughts

Markings indicated it was autolite, but I bought a motorcraft rebuild kit, which was really cheap to my surprise. Matched the code on it, was easy picking.

The pictures I had uploaded were reduced 25 percent already, i'll aim for 50 percent next time. ha. I'm finshing up the fluid changes tomorrow (monday), and might buy the car battery too so I can continue on to the condition of the distributor.

Question (as per all my post), how much transmission fluid do I need to buy, I decided to dump it all because the car last three years ago was having trouble with the gear box. Nothing was documented so I'm not sure what kind of trouble but it never received repair. Thanks, Jordan.

• Sponsors (?)

Well Jordan, that's a tough one! First off , what engine, and trans combination are you running? Also bear in mind that even if you drain the transmission, you'll still have some risidual trapped in the transmission, and a couple quarts in the Converter..... Here's something that may be of help, especially if you're running a C-4....

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techa...ce_ford_mustang_c4_transmissions/viewall.html

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_1203_understanding_automatic_transmissions/viewall.html

It's an automatic, I'm pretty sure it's the C4 but I would have to pull the file on the car out to be sure. The engine is the 302. Even diluting it would be nice, let's say I get it running then I can take it to a transmission shop for a proper transmission flush. More than likely I'll pick up 4 or 5 quarts of it to replace what I drop from the pan.

Read the articles, decided to just add transmission fluid to the fill like (Type F because it's a pre 1977 ford, atleast what I read).
I decided to give a status update through an edit because theres no need to double post right now. I finished the fluids change just waiting on the carb kit and then once it's on i'll give you guys an update.

Update:
Found the trunk keys! But good news leads to bad news, the gas cap has been off and it looks like the trunk is full of misc trash items and car parts. I'm going to have to drop the gas pan and empty and clean it all out, atleast this'll take care of any old gas at the same time.
I also talked to the mechanic who last worked on it, he said the car could be started but you would have to be at WOT for it to start, which explains why the carb was off, my hope is that the piece of metal was causing the need for it to be WOT for starting. But we'll see how the progress over this week goes.

I finished rebuilding the carb today, before I put it on and try and start the car up and all I had two questions, the first, the kit came with two cab to low intake gaskets that are exactly the same, do you think this was an accident or am I just missing something(I think it could be an accident because they did for get a gasket that was suppose to come in the kit).

The second is where do I fill the gas into it, directly into it that is, so I can avoid having to fill the entire gas tank and wait for it to reach the carb.

Thanks

Me, of course. But we never finished paying off the original price on the paint job anyways. Which is fair to me because of the parts I still have to buy and there a few tiny chips now in the paint so they don't even deserve to be paid what was originally agreed on.

Get in contract next time is all I can say.

Me, of course. But we never finished paying off the original price on the paint job anyways. Which is fair to me because of the parts I still have to buy and there a few tiny chips now in the paint so they don't even deserve to be paid what was originally agreed on.

Get in contract next time is all I can say.

I'm just glad you didn't get soaked for the whole thing. :nice: They sound like a bunch of boobs.

Okay guys, I've set the carb on there. Now this part I really do need some help with, I've set up a system of pictures consisting of numbers one through nine for connectors that I took pictures of. I need help matching them. Think of it like a game:D
a terribly confusing game for a nub like me.

It's a lot of photos, but I'd really appreciate the help, or even a guide or write up of this. Some way for me to go on with hooking it up to the car. and again where should I funnel the gas into so I dont have to wait for the pump to get the gas from the tank(which might be bad old gas).

Noobz The guy is, I met him not too long ago, he was pissed off I got the car towed out of the lot, and I really could care less about his adult fit.:p

Attachments

• DSC09211.JPG
    DSC09211.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC09212.JPG
    DSC09212.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC09213.JPG
    DSC09213.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC09214.JPG
    DSC09214.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC09215.JPG
    DSC09215.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC09216.JPG
    DSC09216.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC09218.JPG
    DSC09218.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 129
lets try this one pic. at a time
pic number one #1- choke tube ,comes from passenger side exhaust manifold ,may be broke off at the manifold as usual. dont worry its not.
pic. number one #2 -throtle lincage mount ,back two studs of carborator cable to the left side.
pic number 1 #3 -apears to be the fuel line?
pic number 1 #4- throtle lincage drivers side, pushes on the ball on carborator

more when i view the other pics

pic 5 #8 throtle spring, hooks on loop at the bottom of the carborator lincage to the bracket #2
pic5 #3 if its a wire it it must be the other end of anti diesel solenoid

ps choke tube is not broke off it is #6
getting a little confused going to take a minuet

pic 7 vacume hose not sure wich one it is but the carborator is on backwards
fuel filter to the front of car
check your gass tank to see if it has a drain plug at the bottom i would drain out the old gass ,be carefull dont get it in your eyes , to fill the carborator bowl i would remove the top of carborator and fill the bowl that way its the easiest way then bolt top back on, hook up your fuel line first

This will take some time to figure out, but I can't begin to express how much I appreciate you doing this, most people skim over with their knowledge because I'm not familiar and require so many questions. For me that's a full days work hooking it up, but really, thank you.

If the gas tank doesn't have a drain plug I'll probably fill it up all the way to diluted the tiny bit that is left in there.
I'm excited to make progress with this and I wouldn't of been able to if it weren't for everyone who replied.

Carb being backwards, woops. -__-

Finally, I'll let you know here in week the progress of it all, again thanks.

thats cool, and not a prob, i will be doing the same thing with my nephew in the next few months,good practice . and remember the best way to learn is simply ask a question,so ask away. and i like to see someone willing to learn. Jim :nice:
How is this going with your nephew?

It's been a while since I posted with you guys, today I dropped a battery in it, clicked up the carb, and tried to start it. It wouldn't start of course. It was popping (starter im assuming), and the starter solenoid was making some kind of grumble noise as was the car. Soooo, mmy guess is the starter solenoid is bad, is there a way to check it, and if it is bad, where could I buy a replacement? I'm not familiar with 1st and 2nd gen car parts, only 79 and up parts dealers.

on a side note, since i've posted I bought a second/third mustang, now an addition to my mom's Grande, my Sn95, I now own a 92 5.0 LX, came with a CAI, full exhaust, racing clutch and shifter, bright headlights, and possibly a very aggressive cam. and here's the kicker, all for 800 dollars!:D

Thanks 1st gen stangers, Jordan

oh man are you in trouble now,couped is right ,you get one mustang and you simply must have another and another and another and it wont end soon you will buy one and a parts car comes with it ,you should start looking for a house with some acreage
you will need it. there is no cure for mustangitous

starter solenoid growling could be a low battery or bad connection, popping probably means the spark plug wires are pluged in wrong, is it popping out of the carborator?

my nephews car is comming along slowly but its getting there.