1970 Mach 1 Headlight Problem

Got a 70 Mach 1 Was riding it the other night and the headlights suddenly went out. Dash lights and markers stayed on. Just the headlights. They went back on in a couple of seconds but went off a couple of seconds later. I then hit the brights and they came back on but only to go out a couple of seconds later. I turned my dash lights down and turned the foglights off and they seemed to stay on then. Any ideas what could be wrong. I did replace the headlight switch a few years ago.

• Sponsors (?)

two possibilities here;

1: the headlight switch has gone bad again

2: the dimmer switch has gone bad.

i am betting on the dimmer switch, i have had to replace a couple for the very problem you are having.

i am afraid i miss read your post ,i was thinking one headlight ,reading glasses may help:crazy: i agree with rbohm , my 69 did the same thing turned out to be the headlight switch ,not fun at night, when i went to my local dealership to get a new switch
i told the guy behind the counter i need a headlight switch for a 69 mustang ,he asked me ,what does it do ? ahh turns the headlights on heres your sighn:scratch:

04mustang70,
Relays for your headlights are one of the best upgrades you can make to help avoid stressing your 40+ year old wiring! A "key on" relay fed accessory fuse panel is a good addition also and easier to do at the same time as the headlight realays, or at least allow for it in laying out your headlight relays. Here's a good write up, for Ford trucks, but still the same set up:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...o/article/Whiter_Whites_Brighter_Brights.html

Personally, I would ignore/eliminate the "Forced Low Beam" and "High Beam Flash" portions of this set up. It is really easy to do and can be done without cutting any of your OEM wiring. Simply extend the 2 hot wires (low beam & high beam) from either one of your three prong headlight plugs (the third wire is ground) to the relays for control. and make a new harness to go from the relays to the lights.
Post back with any questions and/or to let us know how you make out.
HTH,
Gene

The headlight switch has an internal breaker. It's getting hot and breaking the connection. When it cools off, your headlights come back on. If you're running aftermarket headlights, they're probably drawing more current than stock, and flipping the breaker. The permanent fix is a relay kit.