1971 Intake on 1968 302 Block??

bhami8287

Jul 18, 2011
I have a 1968 J code mustang that I was told was a numbers matching car. The code on the intake begins with D10E which I believe indicates that the intake is from a 1971 302.

Is there any chance that the block itself could be original and just the intake was replaced or would the block have to be a 1971 as well??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ben

• Sponsors (?)

Look here:

C8OE-6015-A_26.jpg

I have a 1968 J code mustang that I was told was a numbers matching car. The code on the intake begins with D10E which I believe indicates that the intake is from a 1971 302.

Is there any chance that the block itself could be original and just the intake was replaced or would the block have to be a 1971 as well??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ben

To answer your question directly - yes, the intake only could have been replaced. So the numbers on the intake do not tell you what the block is. Also, the numbers on the block do not tell you what the engine internals are - anything from the timing set to the cam or the entire rotating assembly could have been swapped out.

As an aside - the "numbers matching" thing is more of a Chivy deal. Fords don't generally have every part stamped with a number that will match on an original car. However, you are interpreting the casting number on the intake correctly. It definitely isn't original to your car.