1972 302 block help

306stroker

Jun 15, 2003
taylor Mi.
i have found out that i have a block in my car from that is a 1972 engine block # D20E-6015-AB i was wondering what is the main differance in the older blocks compared to the newer blocks, are they any stronger? i know the heads and all the insides have been changed but do you know how much horsepower these blocks are good for??? any help will be great!

• Sponsors (?)

from looking at the older blocks vs the roller blocks, the differences aren't huge, but if you look at the main webbing, it's centered more in the saddles than the roller blocks-their "meat" is shifted off to one side. Also, the older blocks have shorter lifter bores which, if you want to run a roller cam, will necessitate the need to either run the bar style lifters, or running a small base circle cam with the stock roller lifter setup (which also requires drilling/tapping holes for the spider)...

another thing you might want to look at with the blocks is the deck height, from '73-'76 the deck height was 0.020" higher (to lower the compression in the smog era engines). Of course you can have it machined off, but just keep it in mind if you choose to use this block since your compression will most definitely be altered from what it's supposed to be.

some of the older blocks are also rumored to be cast from a higher nickel content alloy, but i can't tell you for sure...

all that aside, I'm not positive that the blocks will handle any more or any less power than a standard roller block-aside from getting a mexican block, or mexican caps and mating them to your old style block.

The early 302 blocks were a bit thicker in the webbing and better iron was used too. Keep in mind they also used a 2 piece rear main seal and have no provision for a block mounted dipstick that a fox body pan requires.

bobcatv8 said:
The early 302 blocks were a bit thicker in the webbing and better iron was used too. Keep in mind they also used a 2 piece rear main seal and have no provision for a block mounted dipstick that a fox body pan requires.

good call bobcat, forgot to mention the part about the dipstick-I have a mexican block in my car, and have no way of cking my oil with a fox body pan... :notnice:

but-there is a place i saw on ebay that sells factory style replacement oil pans specifically for that-fox body cars with old style blocks, the dipstick is in the sump-brilliant!

the 2 piece rms isn't a big deal though, i have never had a problem with mine...just make sure it's pushed up 3/8" on one end so the ends overlap the mating surfaces between the block and the cap

the engine is already done and put togather and in a mustang im buying monday, its bored to a 306 and it does have a dipstick, i was only currious cause i wanted to find out how much HP i can run this thing its already about 420- 450, its built up really strong with all the best parts. i was told it was a 1970 boss block but come to find out it isnt ( kinda mad about that) but o well. heres a post to the original thread where i got pics at http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=565365