1973 grande performance

simplyxtrippin

May 26, 2005
i'm asking this for my fiance. she just got a '73 grande 351 from her aunt. it's has some electical problem right now and is not running due to it. after that is fixed, this will b her 'nice car' and she loves power.

what kind of performance part/modification is available to this car. i'm looking more towards force induction. but n/a modification suggestions would be nice also. ty.

• Sponsors (?)

simplyxtrippin said:
i'm asking this for my fiance. she just got a '73 grande 351 from her aunt. it's has some electical problem right now and is not running due to it. after that is fixed, this will b her 'nice car' and she loves power.

what kind of performance part/modification is available to this car. i'm looking more towards force induction. but n/a modification suggestions would be nice also. ty.

what kind of budget did she have in mind?

pushrod power said:
what kind of budget did she have in mind?
it'll be more like a gradual build up. she's plannin on spendin alot of money through the course of it. she also want to get the int. and ext. done. maybe about 10k-15k for everything. i told her that just for the performance upgrade can get up close to 10K, she didn't seem to surprise about it.

There are many options available for the 351 (both windsor or cleveland).

I would suggest starting with a general performance rebuild but with keeping future goals in mind (for example, keep the compression low if you think forced induction is in the future and make sure the engine is built to handle the future power).

if she is truly looking to spend 10-15k and wants forced induction she should start saving her money and start with the block. yank it, check for core shift, make sure the blocked hasn't already been bored and build a bullet proof bottom end. forged steel crank, forged pistons, etc...
if she wants to do n/a. start with a blue thunder intake, 750 carb (your pick),long tube headers (hooker or FRP) and a 2.5" exhaust for starters.

i would follow pushrod power's advice, except for one thing, instead of pulling the motor and building it, find a decent motor from another car, build that one. that way she can have a nice daily driver, and her enthusiasm for the project will be maintained over the time it takes to build the car.

Try search and then ask a more specific question. Then you'd realize not many people go the blower route with a 351c.

You need specific goals with the car. Unless you have those, you'll be throwing money away trying things that don't perform like you want. The car is heavy and the stock motor is a pig too so don't expect much unless you do some major things.

Read the ford books "Best of Hot Rod - Hi-Perf. SBF Engines" and "Ford 351C & Boss 351C". Then read the 335 series forum on network54. http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419

If you really want fi, I'd pull the stock motor and build up a 351W or 347 stroker. FI choices abound.