1973 Stang Questions

03 SVT VERT

Jun 7, 2004
1. What do convertables from this year usually go for? Would $4,000 for one that needs a new top and paint sound worth it?

2. How easy are they to find parts for (especially for the top) and to work on? Is it easy to switch to 4V heads (351C)?

3. Is there any problem areas to look for or things to know about?

Any other info is appriciated!

• Sponsors (?)

That price sounds very reasonable to me IF all it needs is paint and top. If there isn't much bodywork the repaint should only cost a couple thousand or so and the top maybe $500 if the glass is OK. Parts are not too much of a worry with all the suppliers/vendors out there of repop stuff now. Make sure you look carefuly for rust in the lower doors, quarters, floors, cowl, trunk, etc. Rust repair gets expensive fast ! Nice '71-73 verts that are driver quality or better are on the rise and seem to bring $8000-$15000 depending on drivetrain and colors. Search ebay for some old auctions for an idea on prices. Good luck, and read up !!

The only rust I could tell is a rust hole in the trunk area and a little under the windshield. All the glass is good, it just needs the vert fabric and pads. There is no A/C (didn't come with it), but the heater works. The owner wants 4,000, or best offer, I don't want to offer $4,000 right away, so what would be a good starting point? Also, I have never bought a classic car, so what do I need to optain paperwork wise? Is there a bill of sale, or just a title, or what?

Oh, and which was the better 351, the 351 Cleveland or the Windsor?

did you lift up the carpet and check the floor pans???

if they are not rusted out, and you can't find any other damage/rust

and

if you like the car, i'd say 4k is a good deal..........if you don't someone else will........imho

in maryland you only need a clear title and proof of liability insurance,

you can be on the road today with classic tags

It's a 351C 2V, the original motor. I want to change it to the 4V heads, but someone told me it is a lot of work. The heads, manifold, lifters, carb, ect would all have to be changed, the oiling system would have to be changed, all with a complete engine rebuild. Plus the trans and rear would have to be buffed up. They said it would be better just to buy a new motor and go with a 351W. What is your thought though, is it worth it to do or would it just be easier to drop a new motor in? I want to get atleast 300-350hp out of this thing. 177hp just doesn't do it for me. :rolleyes:

Build up the C imo. We were going to swap out to a 351 (Back & forth between C & W depending on which the original Eleanor actually had), but we've decided to keep the 302 and work with it. It's not a stock motor, and it's a 69 block & heads (I think..or is it a 71 block with 69 heads? It's the third motor in 3 years, they're getting jumbled up in my head!!), so it's workable. Pretty nasty when it wants to be (valve lash settings have been quite the frustration-its 20 year old rebuild, and we don't really know what kind of cam it has). Back out of the car now, might end up pulling it apart to find out what we're working with, who knows. We'd also considered a turbo system (I had bookmarked a page for someone building a twin turbo set up on a big body, but I lost in in a hard drive crash and havent found it again yet. They were pretty close to done last time I checked it out)....When we were hunting a C someone we know that's into classic Stangs (ok, so he has 6-7 of them) said not to bother with 4v heads, the 2v's were more streetable. Dont know how true it is though. ...