Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm....dunno. just looking at the join date listed in our profiles. I don't know if I joined in 1999, or 2009, or 2019. Hell I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night? Well, I do know I had corn...please do the ask how I know.

• Sponsors (?)

In the grand scheme of things, I really don't have to worry about making my paint deadline on the 22nd of July...

I'll be dead.

Today I spent a full day in 95 degree heat swapping Gila hood v2, for Gila hood v3.

I started out the day by taking our old assed Cairn to the vet. He's been limping the last week and he needed to be checked out. Turned out for the better anyway, he only has a sprained shoulder,...(Probably because the mean cat ( Reggen of 9) beats that dogs ass everytime he walks by). Animal cruelty at the hands of another animal,....who'da thunk it.

When I get home I put the dog in the house, and go about the business at hand. Stopping only for water and something to eat, I spent all day (till just now, MOF) Working on the hood.

Typical stuff for me.

I start out sanding the thing to see what evil might lie beneath. Sure enough, It's rusted through in the RF corner Since I have a pefect donor I think NBD,....I'll just cut out the old and swap in the good piece.

Nope.

Different year Fairmont hoods have different sub-structure, The top skin is the same,.....not so underneath.

I go about welding in the piece nonetheless. Very slowly. The last thing I want is a tweaked RF corner on this hood.

I manage.

20160629_185316_zpsgjliz9yq.jpg

20160629_200241_zpspd8cptku.jpg

As for putting the sub structure back,...that's another story. The old one was eaten through, and what could be salvaged was badly pitted. The new structure doesn't line up properly as it's completely different underneath. Guess I'm fabricating junk on Sunday.

As for the G nostrils, I decided to move them back about 8". They seemed too far forward in retrospect, and by moving them I figured It'd add some rigidity to the flimsy assed top skin,...(Cause remember,....I have to cut that away to clear the turbo.) So, again, moving the Nostrils directly over the turbo effectively replaced the hood brace that spanned across the hood.

Did it keep the hood from going wonka-wonka when you push it?

Nope.

So I put back the metal bar that was on v2. That fixed it.

20160629_185325_zpsafwfncvl.jpg

At the end of the day, I decided to add the G vents back. They were already made, and all I had to do was drill some holes and cut out the metal underneath.

20160629_192846_zpsoyqdtacx.jpg

I think I managed to get away without hurting the hood too bad w/ regard to warpage. I decided to create a flanged recess for the old scoop to sit in. The thinking again that having two layers of metal would make for a more rigid hood. Regardless, It is welded in place. Sunday, I'll hope to get it bodyworked and in prime.

If you're reading it right, ....you got to be thinkin to yourself....."he put a hole to let water in directly over his hot assed turbo."

And to that I'd say, "Yeah I did."

But, I got this magnetic sign material that I ain't doing nothing with. I'm thinking that I'll make a little magnetic G nostril cover for that side, and if I get caught out in the rain,..I'll just apply that thing to the back side of the grille mesh,..and keep on sloggin' through the rain.

You may also be thinkin: "But,......what became of poor ol v2....."

He's out on the curb......waiting on some scrap hound to take him to a better place.

20160629_191600_zpsomvkeq41.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
In the grand scheme of things, I really don't have to worry about making my paint deadline on the 22nd of July...

I'll be dead.

Today I spent a full day in 95 degree heat swapping Gila hood v2, for Gila hood v3.

I started out the day by taking our old assed Cairn to the vet. He's been limping the last week and he needed to be checked out. Turned out for the better anyway, he only has a sprained shoulder,...(Probably because the mean cat ( Reggen of 9) beats that dogs ass everytime he walks by). Animal cruelty at the hands of another animal,....who'da thunk it.

When I get home I put the dog in the house, and go about the business at hand. Stopping only for water and something to eat, I spent all day (till just now, MOF) Working on the hood.

Typical stuff for me.

I start out sanding the thing to see what evil might lie beneath. Sure enough, It's rusted through in the RF corner Since I have a pefect donor I think NBD,....I'll just cut out the old and swap in the good piece.

Nope.

Different year Fairmont hoods have different sub-structure, The top skin is the same,.....not so underneath.

I go about welding in the piece nonetheless. Very slowly. The last thing I want is a tweaked RF corner on this hood.

I manage.

20160629_185316_zpsgjliz9yq.jpg

20160629_200241_zpspd8cptku.jpg

As for putting the sub structure back,...that's another story. The old one was eaten through, and what could be salvaged was badly pitted. The new structure doesn't line up properly as it's completely different underneath. Guess I'm fabricating junk on Sunday.

As for the G nostrils, I decided to move them back about 8". They seemed too far forward in retrospect, and by moving them I figured It'd add some rigidity to the flimsy assed top skin,...(Cause remember,....I have to cut that away to clear the turbo.) So, again, moving the Nostrils directly over the turbo effectively replaced the hood brace that spanned across the hood.

Did it keep the hood from going wonka-wonka when you push it?

Nope.

So I put back the metal bar that was on v2. That fixed it.

20160629_185325_zpsafwfncvl.jpg

At the end of the day, I decided to add the G vents back. They were already made, and all I had to do was drill some holes and cut out the metal underneath.

20160629_192846_zpsoyqdtacx.jpg

I think I managed to get away without hurting the hood too bad w/ regard to warpage. I decided to create a flanged recess for the old scoop to sit in. The thinking again that having two layers of metal would make for a more rigid hood. Regardless, It is welded in place. Sunday, I'll hope to get it bodyworked and in prime.

If you're reading it right, ....you got to be thinkin to yourself....."he put a hole to let water in directly over his hot assed turbo."

And to that I'd say, "Yeah I did."

But, I got this magnetic sign material that I ain't doing nothing with. I'm thinking that I'll make a little magnetic G nostril cover for that side, and if I get caught out in the rain,..I'll just apply that thing to the back side of the grille mesh,..and keep on sloggin' through the rain.

You may also be thinkin: "But,......what became of poor ol v2....."

He's out on the curb......waiting on some scrap hound to take him to a better place.

20160629_191600_zpsomvkeq41.jpg
Seriously good progress Mike. Good job:nice:

It's been in the upper 90's here too. Booth temp around 105-110 area in the afternoons.

It's been humid, but not like the swamp humidity you have.

We'll do our best to shoot the monster Saturday morning for the cooler (relatively) weather, Friday could be a late night. That's ok though, gives us more waking time for beer.:cheers:

Reactions: 2 users
Seriously good progress Mike. Good job:nice:

It's been in the upper 90's here too. Booth temp around 105-110 area in the afternoons.

It's been humid, but not like the swamp humidity you have.

We'll do our best to shoot the monster Saturday morning for the cooler (relatively) weather, Friday could be a late night. That's ok though, gives us more waking time for beer.:cheers:

I don't know how long we'll have the night before to get the car ready (i.e masked, cleaned). It'll be a Friday night, and I'm thinkin that dude is probably gonna want to get home. It'd be like me asking you to stay in your shop after you've spent the better part of 12 hours in this heat/humidity and allow me and my "painter" to spend another 6+ hours to fuss over the small stuff.

The guy that has committed to stay (shop foreman?) offered his help to get the car ready, so we'll have three guys (two that know what they are doing) getting it taped up for however long that takes. I was supposed to pick up the material yesterday, but decided against burning that hour +up too. This Friday is baseball night, and since I gotta be downtown for that anyway, I'll leave work early and do that then. I'll make a point of stopping by this up coming week to "remind" them that we're coming in 3 weeks.

One thing's for sure the humidity is back with a vengeance. Bare metal rusts overnight.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know how long we'll have the night before to get the car ready (i.e masked, cleaned). It'll be a Friday night, and I'm thinkin that dude is probably gonna want to get home. It'd be like me asking you to stay in your shop after you've spent the better part of 12 hours in this heat/humidity and allow me and my "painter" to spend another 6+ hours to fuss over the small stuff.

The guy that has committed to stay (shop foreman?) offered his help to get the car ready, so we'll have three guys (two that know what they are doing) getting it taped up for however long that takes. I was supposed to pick up the material yesterday, but decided against burning that hour +up too. This Friday is baseball night, and since I gotta be downtown for that anyway, I'll leave work early and do that then. I'll make a point of stopping by this up coming week to "remind" them that we're coming in 3 weeks.

One thing's for sure the humidity is back with a vengeance. Bare metal rusts overnight.
i need you to get a couple things, a box of Microflex Diamond Grip xl gloves and at least two Crystal premium tack rags, three would be best.

I'll get the PPS stuff from my jobber here and bring it with me. Unless, of course, if PPG wants to provide it. Free is almost always better.

I like to use 2" tape and 3/4" as well. I can use 1 1/2" tape if the two inch isn't available. I like 3M yellow tape if you can, but anything will do (as long as it isn't the blue house tape).

That was nice of the guy to offer a hand. He probably wants to have a part in this car like I do. Extra hands are a good thing.

I'll probably be asking for small stuff here and there as I think on it. There really won't be much left to get though.

Do you have a good wax and grease remover? Clean and lint free paper towels too. I use DeVilbiss Clean Paint Prep Wipes. If you can get those, one box will easily take care of the whole car.

i need you to get a couple things, a box of Microflex Diamond Grip xl gloves and at least two Crystal premium tack rags, three would be best.

I'll get the PPS stuff from my jobber here and bring it with me. Unless, of course, if PPG wants to provide it. Free is almost always better.

I like to use 2" tape and 3/4" as well. I can use 1 1/2" tape if the two inch isn't available. I like 3M yellow tape if you can, but anything will do (as long as it isn't the blue house tape).

That was nice of the guy to offer a hand. He probably wants to have a part in this car like I do. Extra hands are a good thing.

I'll probably be asking for small stuff here and there as I think on it. There really won't be much left to get though.

Do you have a good wax and grease remover? Clean and lint free paper towels too. I use DeVilbiss Clean Paint Prep Wipes. If you can get those, one box will easily take care of the whole car.

Ck.

I'm going there this afternoon. I'll ask them then.
New good looks great Mike, glad you are making good progress..

Been meaning to ask....

How do you like the New Mini?

You just had to go and ask didn't ya?.......

Don't you guys think I'd be doting on that car by now?

I probably would if..............................................

It didn't fail on the first day of ownership.
The AC compressor took a dump.
And the new one has to come from................
Germany.

2 weeks before it gets here, and they don't even know for sure that that is the fix.

I'm taking over for Murphy. From not on,......it's now gonna be called "Mike's Law"

I bail on the car, or they pay my first pymt if I keep it if the compressor isn't the solution to this problem.
Ask me again next week at this time.

Ck.

I'm going there this afternoon. I'll ask them then.

You just had to go and ask didn't ya?.......

Don't you guys think I'd be doting on that car by now?

I probably would if..............................................

It didn't fail on the first day of ownership.
The AC compressor took a dump.
And the new one has to come from................
Germany.

2 weeks before it gets here, and they don't even know for sure that that is the fix.

I'm taking over for Murphy. From not on,......it's now gonna be called "Mike's Law"

I bail on the car, or they pay my first pymt if I keep it if the compressor isn't the solution to this problem.
Ask me again next week at this time.
Doh!:nonono:

I am very sorry Mike but it won't get any better. My wife drives a mini, and they are expensive black holes in which you put your money. Ours has 30k on the odometer and already has had 2 thermostat housings, the intake manifold had to be cleaned out with almond shells, window motor, and all the window moldings have to be replaced already....

Good luck!:nice:

But Charleze Theron drove one in that movie, I forget what it was called.....but it was Charleze Theron driving it.....Of course, not that she attractive, or anything......
I think I know why I liked Mustang II's back in the day, oh Farrah.

Status
Not open for further replies.