Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to tread lightly here Mike . I love the progress so far .

My suggestion. The grille surround needs to be black and the grille center itself maybe Body color to break it up still .

Again just an opinion .
You're treadin lightly why?...Cause you're afraid that I'll rear up and spit fire at you like I do with Nick? Nick gets fire spit on him because he's from Iowa, and we have this sort of weird "cousin from Iowa kinship". That plus he's been a loyal contributor of the "every suggestion that I've never taken" club, So that makes him special.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

I kinda think that the headlight surround would look good in black. Time for some photoshop maybe?

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Mike how's the finger doin? Looks like the paints almost done is it completely buffed out? I agree with Jeff that black will make it look good maybe a grille surround like @RaggedGT put up but make the chrome a body color that way it looks like it's floating in the front. It would be hard though to see since the radiator is still bright silver either way really loving the progress! Keep up the hard you old retired fart

The finger is healing now that it isn't trying to grow over thread. The car isn't buffed at all except the trunk, and I'm still not done there, I am not retired. I'm a Genius.

I think it looks alright like it sits. I know to balance with the rear that you might think a chrome/silver trim might fit in.

What's next though? Chrome trim on the nostrils?

Put the little tornado in the grill first and see how that tickles you. I like that idea.

**DING!! you get the cookie. I'm trying to find new 1970 Cyclone quarter panel script, and that will be the offset the grille needs to balance it with the "shiny" that's on the rear. Unless it's just Gigantic, that is what I plan to buy. I'm also taking Raggedy's suggestion, and putting a 1/2" wide piece of 1/8" thick piece of aluminum across the center rib to intersect that script that'll sit on the right side as you look at it.

Tornadoes are for Chevys Dave

Cyclone, that's what I was thinking.

I live in Oklahoma, tornadoes happen.

If I could find a really good example of a tornado/cyclone in chrome, I'd consider that too,..but it's not like there is a chrome tornado emblem at AZ out there sitting next to the skulls, and dragons in the redneck/illegal alien department.

As always gentlemen,...I put this out there expecting you to comment. MOF I'm pi ssed when you don't. So don't be afraid to comment or make suggestions,...especially when I ask for it. Raggedy Chris is proof that I do consider, and accept outside ideas. Worse that could happen is a smart assed reply when you've decided that what I've done isn't up to my standard, (like the old center spar that was a shelf standard that Old blue pointed out), or like the upside down bolts/nuts that are buggin Iowa
I changed the center spar,....the nuts are stayin. They may get painted orange though.;)

The cut out rear center where light shines through is a raggedy Idea.
The branded door panel is a raggedy idea. ( I haven't done it, but I think it'd be kinda cool)
The current scoop over the old scoop belongs to several people
The current G gill over one of the previous versions belongs to several people as well.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

This is the future grille emblem if I can find a new one that isn't 45 years old like this one.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
After looking at it,...I think I don't like the orange trim surrounding the black pieces on the front end. These cars are built so poorly, the gaps are over exaggerated when there is orange, then a gap, then orange to point that out.

63072275-1FE2-43C4-BE3A-7E2CEF25E944_zpsgheiwem2.jpg

I Built a filler strip to match the ones that are built into the fenders that will completely close the gap at the bottom, then I can move everything up 1/4" and reduced that gap on top. I just still have to prep and paint that filler strip orange. The option here is an entire black front end. The gaps will disappear then, simply by spraying everything the same color. What do you guys think?
Wow, miss an afternoon, miss a lot (and hardly any of it beverage-related!)
My two cents: How about a single orange spar to connect the dividers between the headlights & TSs, with the Cyclone script just above? Possibly the tail of the letter y crossing over it?

Those gaps above and below are likely Uncle Sam related, for finger protection above, & 5 mph bumper-on-the-cheap clearance below. Ford filled them with rubber strips on some cars.

Looks real sharp as is, and an emblem will set it off however you go!

Dang thats right, they had that rubber flat flap between the bumper and the grill, iirc some cars were painted body color, could you find a piece of heavy rubber paint it and mount it? any evidence of mounting points inside the bumper?
Same for the hood, wasnt it like round rubber tubing?

Wow, miss an afternoon, miss a lot (and hardly any of it beverage-related!)
My two cents: How about a single orange spar to connect the dividers between the headlights & TSs, with the Cyclone script just above? Possibly the tail of the letter y crossing over it?

Those gaps above and below are likely Uncle Sam related, for finger protection above, & 5 mph bumper-on-the-cheap clearance below. Ford filled them with rubber strips on some cars.

Looks real sharp as is, and an emblem will set it off however you go!

Funny you should say that,.....this is what's planned:

This car:

stephen-cox-cyclone69spoiler.jpg

Has this,..right in the middle of the grille.

s-l500.jpg

This is just an adhesive backed aluminum insert. It goes in a recessed centerpiece on the car above.
It's actual Ford N.O.S., and it cost accordingly (Like $65.00 for a sticky backed aluminum decal. accordingly)

On the Monster,...(since the center of my grille is peaked), This thing will sit on a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum on the driver side of the grille, with one single horizontal span across the middle spar running into it.

Last edited:
Here's that little gun that I was talking about. I have it laying with the gun I used on your car. It's a Sata Mini-jet. It has a 1.0 tip, my other mini-jet has a 0.8 tip, great for small pieces. It sprays flat like a full size gun, just a smaller pattern is all.
image.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Here's that little gun that I was talking about. I have it laying with the gun I used on your car. It's a Sata Mini-jet. It has a 1.0 tip, my other mini-jet has a 0.8 tip, great for small pieces. It sprays flat like a full size gun, just a smaller pattern is all.
image.jpg
That is not nearly as cool as I thought it was gonna be......where do you load the bullets?

I like it the way it is but if I had to suggest any change at all I'd say black everything except the grill trim/frame. But then again, I don't know about that because the front might still look too "deleted" like the example Fairmont you posted. So in conclusion I'd say keep it the way it is and just add your "Cyclone" verbage. Just my $.02. :shrug:

Funny you should say that,.....this is what's planned:

This car:

stephen-cox-cyclone69spoiler.jpg

Has this,..right in the middle of the grille.

s-l500.jpg

This is just an adhesive backed aluminum insert. It goes in a recessed centerpiece on the car above.
It's actual Ford N.O.S., and it cost accordingly (Like $65.00 for a sticky backed aluminum decal. accordingly)

On the Monster,...(since the center of my grille is peaked), This thing will sit on a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum on the driver side of the grille, with one single horizontal span across the middle spar running into it.

OK, $0.04 in one day. But given the supposed value of a picture, it pans out.

G-monster front edit 2.JPG

Enjoying it all as usual.

No offense to anyone, but I definitely do not like that ^^^ with that horizontal bar being below the center line of the grille. At the same time, having a horizontal bar across the middle would look goofy butting up to the headlights also (IMO). I still think a floating emblem in a solid black grille is classiest. Take that adhesive backed emblem, cut off the upper and lower red portions to save only the silver cyclone print and the silver box around the word, stick it to your metal, and mount that puppy by itself where the gentleman above me made his photoshop of the Cyclone emblem.

Last edited:
No offense to anyone, but I definitely do not like that ^^^ with that horizontal bar being below the center line of the grille. At the same time, having a horizontal bar across the middle would look goofy butting up to the headlights also (IMO). I still think a floating emblem in a solid black grille is classiest. Take that adhesive backed emblem, cut off the upper and lower red portions to save only the silver cyclone print and the silver box around the word, stick it to your metal, and mount that puppy by itself where the gentleman above me made his photoshop of the Cyclone emblem.

Aww Nick,...going for 4 are we?....

:nono:

This is how it's gonna be. ( No offense to you either)

1/2" x 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar spanning the center horizontal rib intersecting the rectangle that will have the newly purchased CYCLONE emblem sitting on top of that rectangle. All of the stuff that is labeled "aluminum" will be shiny.

Now,...will I cut off the bottom and top portions off of a $65.00 NOS decal,..to create a decal that can be bought exactly the way that you are describing as an alternative......?????

ARE YOU STONED???

Slap yourself silly.

It is how it will be: Centered strip, intersecting a rectangle with a COMPLETELY intact N.O.S red, black, and silver decal sitting proudly on top.

Go fix your hood.

Aww Nick,...going for 4 are we?....

:nono:

This is how it's gonna be. ( No offense to you either)

1/2" x 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar spanning the center horizontal rib intersecting the rectangle that will have the newly purchased CYCLONE emblem sitting on top of that rectangle. All of the stuff that is labeled "aluminum" will be shiny.

Now,...will I cut off the bottom and top portions off of a $65.00 NOS decal,..to create a decal that can be bought exactly the way that you are describing as an alternative......?????

ARE YOU STONED???

Slap yourself silly.

It is how it will be: Centered strip, intersecting a rectangle with a COMPLETELY intact N.O.S red, black, and silver decal sitting proudly on top.

Go fix your hood.

You never stated it could be had without the red and black, first of all. Secondly, you go ahead and put that red/black emblem on your orange/black car good buddy! I dont take offense to anything said on here, but others seem to sometimes, so I like to pull a Will Ferrell and put out my warning of "with all due respect" (Talladega Nights). So with all due respect, I think you are using poor taste mixing the red and black with your orange paint scheme! But Mikey, you do you, and I will keep on collecting my "no said the fingers!" Also, my Mustang is for sale, and my original hood is hanging on my basement wall with an American flag draped over the center covering the giant f*ck up I created in the middle of it. There will be no finishing it, I like it as wall art, and the Cobra R hood I put on looks pretty sweet on my little sheep. :nice:

Reactions: 1 users
You never stated it could be had without the red and black, first of all. Secondly, you go ahead and put that red/black emblem on your orange/black car good buddy! I dont take offense to anything said on here, but others seem to sometimes, so I like to pull a Will Ferrell and put out my warning of "with all due respect" (Talladega Nights). So with all due respect, I think you are using poor taste mixing the red and black with your orange paint scheme! But Mikey, you do you, and I will keep on collecting my "no said the fingers!" Also, my Mustang is for sale, and my original hood is hanging on my basement wall with an American flag draped over the center covering the giant f*ck up I created in the middle of it. There will be no finishing it, I like it as wall art, and the Cobra R hood I put on looks pretty sweet on my little sheep. :nice:

Getting the itch to have a Fusion are we? I'm sure that that is gonna be a tough "row to hoe", considering how many of them (Mustangs) are out there. Hopefully you have some room, and can afford to sell for whatever the market will bear if you need to sell it.
I obviously don't know why you have decided to sell the thing, I can only guess......I'll take a stab at it though...

#1. You are tired of being one of the mindless hoard at the local cruise in.
#2. You looked up the word complacency, and decided that it did not describe any part of you.
#3. You have decided to build a * insert fox body of choice*, and you are needing to free up the $600+ dollars that the current car is bleeding you out of your monthly budget when considering the pymt, and insurance to help fund the build.
#4. If you do choose to jump on the "build your own" as opposed to "buy your build", you're hoping that you gain some perspective, and appreciation for color. And realize that, (when it comes time to choose the color scheme) that a simple small grille ornament, PLACED IN A SEA OF BLACK,WILL NOT CONFLICT WITH AN OVERWHELMINGLY DOMINANT COLOR SCHEME AS LONG AS THE PRIMARY COLORS ARE CHROME/RED/BLACK.

You know,....kinda like putting a chrome, red, white, and blue version of the same on a primarily red car.
mustangengineswap283_zpsjtlzh70k.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
This will be one of the updates where I get little response from the constituency. Primarily because it's 'Ho-Hum" stuff. That didn't change the fact that it still took me 10 hours to do this junk, so, you're getting an update just the same.

I'm probably going to have to have foot surgery. It's ironic that I've been "nursing" bad knees for years now to avoid the down time, and in the end, it is a stupid toe that is crippling me.

It's called pre-dislocation syndrome. The tissue at the ball of your foot tears and allows your toes to spread. Consequently, your foot looks like some sort of freak show, and hurts like hell because of it.

The recovery is a bitch,...2 weeks post surgery off your feet completely, and the next 4-6 on your heel only.

What did I do to deserve this sht anyway?

Oh well,....I digress.

The plan for today was assembly. Specifically, the doors.

0AB737A0-A4FE-40F4-A6C8-F4222F57D96E_zps9aajkqsv.jpg

64C6A6F1-717C-412F-8EC9-BBD70EA9691F_zpsac8d10ku.jpg

ADC8FF6B-06C6-40B7-88E6-201F635783CA_zpsnu2y33la.jpg

Just like all of us here, I've been amassing parts for years now. The black door locks, the interior, and exterior dew wipes, have been here forever. The door-to -body gaskets,........not so long.

The doors open from both inside, and outside now. Inside, all you do to get out is push down on the lock knob. Outside,......well, you know the deal.

The dew wipes fit perfectly and are complete factory clones. The run channel is aftermarket universal stuff, and I didn't have enough (only comes in 60" lengths,...and stupid here only bought two... ( Needed more like 7' instead of 5.....at least it fits well.)

I bought the "cheaper set of gaskets from LMR to fit a fox mustang, and cannot get the door to close. I tried to adjust the front of the door at the hinges thinking that they were too close inward, and that did help a little, but you would literally have to slam the piss out of this door to get it shut. I called LMR, and he told me that the more expensive gasket would do the same,..and that I just needed to get the doors to shut, and set the car in the sun,.....( yeah,...right).

So,....it'll be a few days before I go back down there,....so I figured what the hell,...I'll humor dude.

2253B4AE-DC91-401F-BBEA-A93459A6A386_zpsj0wtrij6.jpg

This is what you gotta do to get the door to close, and stay even with the body line. I've removed the strikers, and am just gonna let these dudes sit this way for a couple of days to see what happens.

33907BC5-E957-4137-983C-5B3A4B35184B_zps96vh6qwi.jpg

But I can get the door even w/ the body when I do that.....Just sayin.

I also did my quarter windows.....I could only find the factoryb speed nuts for one side. I bought some more at the auto parts store, but they suck,...they will not tighten,..they just get to a point of being almost tight, and then just spin.

DFDFBFE3-13C2-4218-91FA-2AFFE79DFDC5_zpsow3mucna.jpg

CD9E9964-CF6F-4844-9531-DFBCDC4FA0D8_zpspk5hqehl.jpg

part of the LMR "kit" that includes the doors, and the hatch gasket,.....works just fine as a monster trunk gasket.

I also mounted my "poppers" that allow the trunk to lift enough so I can get my fingers between that gap to lift the trunk.

So,..that brings up to a close for tonight, Aug 24th,......2016. 2 days away from the 3 year mark since the Monster showed it's ugly face in my driveway.

Guess I'll hobble my broken ass upstairs and take a shower,.....I need to wash the mid evil off of me.

Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.