Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,...full update with little progress to actually display.

The day starts out normally enough (for a Sunday). I'm down in the garage at 9 AM,...wifes lounging around, and I decide to build the package tray, and attempt to upholster it.

Fairmont, and as I'd imagine Mustang notches, have three clips that hold the thing down in the back, with various screws holding it down in the front. Transferring those clips over to the new board became job 1. The factory just presses the clips into the board and little teeth bite into the surface, Easy enough to pry off, but trying to get it to bite into the new board proved futile. I ended up using big headed aluminum rivets, and smashing them flat with a hammer.

What can I say?....You do what you do when you're a hack.

So While I'm beating rivets flat, the window opens above my head, the wife sticks hers out of it, and "reminds me" that I'm committed for the afternoon, and I need to come in and get cleaned up.

Yippee.

The "commitment" was a food and drink venue outside with about 30 vendors offering samples of the food from their restaurants. This would've been a welcome diversion from the ordinary with one exception,........

It was hotter than the surface of the sun.

It was about 96 degrees today, and all of those people, jammed together waiting in line for a sample was jusssst a tad bit more than I wanted to mess with. Evidently the wife (Kate) was feeling the same way, because it took very little whining on my part to convince her that it was time to go.

So we leave and I'm back home, in garage clothes, back working on the package tray, seemingly impervious to the same hot assed temperature that was "way too hot" at the other place.

I had planned to use the same vinyl upholstery that I used on the headliner, but after looking at the scrap found out that it was way too small. I had enough of the black "backless" carpet that the Little Japanese Kids seat was upholstered in, but wanted to use something brown to offset all of that black at the back of the car. I grubbed through the leather and found two pieces that were wide enough,...but neither was long enough. I decided to seam them in the middle.

That plan did not turn out the way that I wanted.

So I adapted the plan. and made a cover plate to hide the seam. I believe that I can live with that.

5CF1BF9C-4FA0-4C4A-B00F-4092A20A0FE8_zpszsv0mvcf.jpg

The seam cover is a piece if 1/8th " aluminum. Glued down over the two butted together sides. What I didn't have was anymore of the stain that I used on all of the other leather, so that'll have to wait for another day.

I also cleaned up the bars that make up the console,...popped the thing into place,...and promptly moved the two man bags that make up my "glove compartment" forward two inches.

BD5429CB-35F0-415D-8288-05C098DBB697_zpsmh5gbykw.jpg

They were too far back in their original configuration,...when the seats are mounted, they were almost at the front edge of the seat. I wanted them forward.

So,..where does that leave me?...

I still have a door panel to fabricate for the passenger side. The speaker box that stands off of the door panel,.and.........all of that upholstery. These doors have the manual window regulators in them, and use an after market electric drive system to "motorize" the windows. That motor system also fits in that box. I'm curious as to how long these things will last,..but I'd imagine that the smoother the regulator operates, the better that'll be. Both of the regulators move about as freely as I think anybody could expect them to.

There are no rocker trim pieces. Mine were broken. You cannot buy them (for a fairmont) When I get the kicks in place, I'll start looking to see whether or not Mustang pieces will work.

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Damn that looks good mike... i have to say your project makes mine look like a 5 year old built it.. I like the package tray and the brown and black looks better than i imagined it in my head.

Thanks Steve-o. I've said it before to you. The stuff you come up with is nothing to be ashamed of. Knowing what you know, and being able to Macguyver a solution to make it work puts you in the top of the class in my book, regardless of whether or not you think it looks like a 5 yr old did it.

Lol thanks Mike. I just crawled out from under Franky.... what a day off.. car ate the throw out bearing and welded the center slide collar to the retainer... what fun. Car us down for awhile waiting for parts good time to take the SC down to the local machine shop (where they will let me use there equipment... so long as I pay for it) for a bearing change out. Doing a new clutch while I'm in there.

Stupid question, but do you have a small piece of the brown leather left to cover your middle plate? It doesnt look bad as is, but I wonder if a brown matching piece would look a little cleaner once the back glass is in place? Right now (and no offense to people that get offended, just my opinion), but it kinda looks like an 80's hot rod design to me. I know you are the king of different , but 80's custom hot rod interior... Now back to sand bagging my town. Again. Because we didnt learn in 2008.

Stupid question, but do you have a small piece of the brown leather left to cover your middle plate? It doesnt look bad as is, but I wonder if a brown matching piece would look a little cleaner once the back glass is in place? Right now (and no offense to people that get offended, just my opinion), but it kinda looks like an 80's hot rod design to me. I know you are the king of different , but 80's custom hot rod interior... Now back to sand bagging my town. Again. Because we didnt learn in 2008.
I do,.but it is not part of the plan. "brown, AND black" is the theme,...the black plate is just gonna have to look all back to the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Nick, i heard about all the rain you're having, as @Boosted92LX would say, "a real turd floater", huh?

Hope you'll be ok buddy.

Hey Nick, i heard about all the rain you're having, as @Boosted92LX would say, "a real turd floater", huh?

Hope you'll be ok buddy.

I am good, as I chose to live outside the flood plain. Our entire downtown was flooded in 2008, and apparently our tax dollars didnt get spent on the necessary precautions to keep it from happening again, because we are on the brink of it again right now. It just sucks to see a lot of people displaced, and businesses suffer, etc. Weird because even "the great flood of '93" didnt really hurt much, but now twice within 8 years we have set records of high water. Pretty sure this global warming stuff may be real. Anywho, @madmike1157 , like I had said, the black doesnt look bad, just thought you were trying to break up the black some and the matching piece may blend better. Having the raised section is still a nice detail piece to give it character, but its your car buddy!

Mike, I was looking at your package shelf, (those packages, they'll knock your head off in an accident!) when I thought "Is he going to put a brake light there?" My guess is no, not now, maybe at some future date, or even "No, said the finger," but it might be protection from the guy mesmerized by the sequential lights.

Looking wild.

Dan

To say that this was a long day would be an understatement.

For whatever reason,..I was up at 5:30. I sat in my chair and dinked around online for several hours, ate breakfast and was in the garage by 8:30 AM. It's now 9:50 PM, I've been there ever since.

As usual, I thought I was gonna get a whole bunch done but equally as usual, have little to show for it.

I decided to focus on the driver's door, hoping to get it complete.

That required that I coat the back of my door panel first. When I built the one side last year, I made the door panel out of the appropriate material, but the stuff I bought was not coated to protect it from moisture. So,...that is what I did first. I used bed liner to do that. (Figured maybe I'd get some sound deadening happening too,.....what little there would be anyway).

While I was waiting on that paint to dry, I moved onto the speaker box. Also built last year sometime, I covered it in black vinyl.

Since that time,..it had all peeled off.

I don't know what the hell happened, but everything was gooey. I had to spend a good while wiping all of the old adhesive off w/ lacquer thinner. It did not want to come off at all,...it took for freakin ever.
I was so pissed at that I decided that I would not recover that thing again, so it also got hosed down in bedliner.

I let that sit in the sun to dry as well.

That left me kinda high and dry so to speak,..so I had to find something else to do.

I had the new interior vinyl dye that was made for me last friday, so I decided to coat the remaining pieces in what would hopefully be the right color this time, and install them so that the headliner would be done once and for all.

It's a lacquer based paint, and it dries within a few minutes, but I decided to bounce around to the console.

See here's the deal:

I have a manually shifted 4R70w. After I stuff the thing in 3rd, there are two switches that I have to manually engage to activate 4th gear (OD) and lock up the converter. Typically this would be done only during an interstate cruise,..so I'm sure I won't use it all the time but if for whatever reason you forget that you have engaged OD and LU, and pull that trans into 2nd,.................

Bad things can happen.

The most notable would be severe lugging of the engine, as once the OD and LU is engaged the engine rpm will drop about 1300-1500 rpm coming off the I state, and forgetting that that switch is engaged would effectively stall the engine, much like doing the same w/ a manual trans and forgetting to step on the clutch.

So,....The prudent thing to do was install a microswitch that only provides a ground for those switches in 3rd gear. And that was also one of the things that I accomplished today.

85A5DB8A-0D39-49F5-8B19-8F9057DC75B8_zpsirgsphxz.jpg

You guys ever use one of theses things before? Look closely at this one.

Notice something missing?

There are no screws holding the thing onto the bracket. I didn't have any of the stinking little things....

So what does Mike use instead of screws?

I glued that btch on there.

The one thing left to do is to test the switches before I install them. All I'm doing is switching the two devices to ground. But I want to have the switches light up to let me know that they are enabled.

Does anybody know if you can switch a standard incandescent switch and have the "load" actually be a gnd,..and have 12v light the internal light in the switch when it's switched? Most of the time these switches provide 12v and the light comes on with the load,...I tried that with a led version of the switch, and the thing wouldn't work at all,....I'm hoping that a regular light will be different.

Next thing was the headliner and the trim pieces as they were thoroughly dry by this time.

60ABCAD8-47A7-4383-803C-1F52365C5A62_zpslgc63yjz.jpg

There's alot of brown in this car...

I installed the door panel, followed by the speaker box. I installed that goofy assed aftermarket pwr window system,....and wired up the window switches and the speaker and put all of that junk on the door.

8EAE87FC-5E2C-43CC-8C38-ADC7623BCA17_zpsp9sctmsz.jpg

7B0C017B-E5AF-41D6-BE4C-D4F6350951CA_zpsmtb8kio2.jpg

What I didn't get done was the door bar. It needs to be repainted. Last year, when I built the bar,..I only had a can of hot rod black, instead of the satin black that I used on the dash, and console. The door bar turned out flat because of that.
There was also this mystery.

FE747569-BE74-4008-9CA0-45F5B8C97F8B_zpssnyd49sr.jpg

See the black line? There was supposed to be a front anchor point installed here for the door bar so that it was better supported. Problem is I dont know if I built it. I don't remember if I was supposed to weld something on the door that poked through the door panel,..or whether or not I was supposed to weld some reinforcement on the door so I could screw something through the door panel into it,...cause I'm here to tell you,.there aint nothing behind that area but a hole where the old door latch handle used to go,...so I'm strugglin with that for now.

I'm not gonna pull that damn door panel off that's for sure,...there are 10 brand new door panel clips holding that thing on, and they are very tight. I guarantee you,...If I try to pull that panel,....I'm screwing something up big as sht.

Reactions: 7 users
Man, I'm lovin' this Mike. It's so cool to see it coming together!

Good job my friend:nice:.
Thanks Dave,....I'm really happy with the way it's turning out....I got done at 9 last night, and just stared at the thing for about 30 minutes afterwards. I'm so thankful for the paint job....I cant say thanks enough.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks Dave,....I'm really happy with the way it's turning out....I got done at 9 last night, and just stared at the thing for about 30 minutes afterwards. I'm so thankful for the paint job....I cant say thanks enough.
Fck Mike, monkey with a paint gun. This whole project is your idea and you're the one who's making it real. That's what to be thankful for. It's been three years and you didn't quit! Now you're getting to enjoy the fruits of the labor. Good for you buddy!

Mike, I really really like the door panel. Cant wait to see it with the door bars installed. Are you happy with the second go round on the vinyl dye? I dont remember which parts were the original mix, and which are new in your new pics.

Mike, I really really like the door panel. Cant wait to see it with the door bars installed. Are you happy with the second go round on the vinyl dye? I dont remember which parts were the original mix, and which are new in your new pics.
The door panel is after the fact. The only parts that were wiped originally were the dash pieces. To me it looks zackly like the dash so I'm happy,......with the color.

The stuff isn't very durable. It can be scratched. ( i.e. you can see where the end of the door bar sat when I had it on the panel) I expected a "stain" to be more final,...but this stuff is actually more like a topcoat. Ordinarily, that would probably bug me, but considering the rustic theme I was going for with that, just adds to the antiqued appearance of the finished product.

Reactions: 1 users
As with all things go with me, there always seems to be a solution present itself as long as I give it time in my head to cook.

In the last update, I pointed out that I had forgotten to build the stand-off, and reinforce the door so that I could thru-bolt that stand-off onto the the door panel and have a front mount to secure the door bar with.

I also said that I wasn't gonna pull that door panel back off the door...........and I'm not.

So tell us then Mike,....How are you gonna reinforce the door (where there isn't even any metal to reinforce) and do that while the door panel is still on?

Ahh lads,...that's the beauty of having a three piece door panel.

All I really gotta do is remove the cover on the speaker box (held on by 10 screws) and there is a big assed hole in the door where the factory cut it for the speaker. I can get enough of my arm in that hole (I think) to hold a backer plate against the inside of the door that will "float" on that surface with a nut welded in the middle of it. All I gotta do is bolt the door bar in place, build that stand-off and paint it. Then once it's dry, drill a hole through the door panel and bolt that dude to it while holding the backer in place through that hole in the bottom of the door.
Then put my newly painted (in satin black) door bar back on, bolt that to the stand off,...and that problem is solved...
Brilliance.......I tell ya, it's brilliance.

The other side will get done the right way.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.