Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, for whatever reason I can't remember, I started reading the build on this monster from the first page, go figure, and I'm not done yet, I just had to tell ya'll that fan and the cat thing ( now keep in mind my thoughts are in cartoon vision) was so freak'n hilarious that I had to reread it to that girl that puts up with the 'car thing' that she will never understand, I can barely get through it even the second time without falling off the couch laughing hysterically, the 'girl' just looks at me like'REALLY'
And my cat is sitting in the middle of the living room with that 'if you ever do that to me I'll kill you in your sleep' look.
That was priceless!
Still reading the posts so don't tell how it ends.
Every now and then,.........not always,...but every now and then,......I'll leave a cookie.

The cat story was a double stuffed,..triple chocolate chunk cookie. I'm glad you got it. I don't think that I've left one like that for years...The Monster has ruined my sense of humor.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So,.....No objective here. I'm just piddlin'.

Trim is mostly blacked out and installed. I had #1 adjust the trunk,..(from the inside). He gets out all proud of himself and shuts the trunk,....hard. Promptly blows a big chip out of the paint where the corner of the trunk makes contact w/ the body.

It was one of those slow motion moments for me, where I watched him put the muscle effort to throw the trunk down, and tried to stop it from happening in my head as he moved his arms to shut the thing. "I felt my brain forming the requisite "Noooooooooooooooo!!!" But it was too late.

I turned to him and said "you just chipped the fck outta my paint.... "

Whatdya gonna do?.......................... It's not gonna be the first time that I get a chip in this paint.

I moved past it.

I decided to hook up the audio system.

This audio system is a first for me. Not that I haven't ever had a great audio system,.....(I always have a great audio system). This is the first time that the head unit didn't have a built-in CD player. This unit is solely a media streaming/AM/FM head unit.
There is a 3 channel amp driving the front 6.5" component speakers in stereo, w/ the 10" sub sitting in a box that is the LJK making up the 3rd channel driven in mono..

I get it all hooked up late this afternoon, and fire the thing up.

It's a Pioneer piece w/ all kinds of goo-gah that I have to learn to adjust to my preferences. Doing that takes about 15 minutes,..but soon enough the noise coming out the system become tolerable,..then decent,..then good enough.

I start Spotify,....and start "Sail" by Awol Nation and roll into the volume.

Rattles,.....like mad.

I thought that I had taken precautions against potential harmonics, but evidently didn't consider how loud the the Little Japanese Kid was gonna be able to wail. This thing will make your ears bleed,..but the metal buzzing forces you to limit how "loud" the little bastard can go. "Good enough" in this instance is the reference standard because I just can't get it loud w/o a "Where the hell is that noise coming from?" thingy.

Dammit!...I so wanted to be able to give myself a SPL concussion......and wherever all of this buzzing is coming from will guarantee that at most I'll only get a mild headache.

But moderation being the lesser of two evils,....I have a really good sounding system up to about the noise level of the engine. And I'm thinkin as loud as the engine is, I'll hear that thing over the LJK.....which may be a good thing after all.

Reactions: 1 user
Alrighty then!!!

I was gonna forego this written update and post a video instead,..but for me the spoken word just isn't as effective at communicating my thoughts..(I cannot go back and edit what I was trying to say).

That doesn't mean that I didn't make a video, (I did),..It's just taking so freakin long to upload, I got no patience for it.

This morning, I posted a question in Steve's MS thread about injector dead times, and other techno garbage. I decided to go ahead and start the car w/ the current tune, and change that stuff on the fly w/i the running program....Whatever it did,..it seems like it starts faster now. I still have to prime the injectors w/ at least 2 key turns though,...but once I do, the engine starts off almost instantly.

So I'm gonna leave that setting where it's at.

I buffed the roof. That made such a mess that I went ahead and washed the car. It was a quickie nonetheless as we are in a stage 4 drought, and non-essential water usage can get you fined,..but the Monster was just too dirty. Especially after buffing the roof.

I finished one end cap for the dash.

F5D0AE3A-82BF-445D-8839-933FA40FF83B_zps7l0dwr4c.jpg

That'll do pig,.......that'll do.

Chips of all kinds are manifesting themselves all over the place,..and you can see two on the dash bar above. I tell ya, by the time I get this car all done it's gonna need a total repaint at the rate I'm going.

I had an epiphany a couple of nights ago...

That center emblem on the rear of the car has proven to be more of a pain in the ass to illuminate it than it's worth. While driving downtown on Monday night, I noticed two glowing strips of light on top of a tanker truck. I thought "Why the hell are there lights that high up on back of that truck?" but soon enough the answer became apparent.

They weren't lights,....they were just your typical reflective tape,..making it seem like they were lit simply because my headlights were shining on them..

That's IT!....I'll put that reflective stuff behind the letters of the center emblem,..and they'll glow the same way when lights hit them from behind,..all w/o having to run one single bulb back there....

Brilliance I tell ya......It's a wonder my head isn't bigger than it is to hold my massive brain.

85EC39E7-1AAA-4C77-AB57-CC0021BF5715_zpsf4iazkgy.jpg

Dave wanted to see chip # 4...here it is in technocolor:

55A15078-F47F-4B65-90E2-0D29B74150DE_zpskuwh1pa1.jpg

The angle makes it look like there isn't a gap,...there is. A perfect 1/4" one matter of fact. The trunk has been opened and closed numerous times by me w/o incident,....It just can't be slammed.

This pic won't show the ride height adjustment but I'll post it anyway.

434E76FD-C26E-440B-AFCE-89E00F6E99A8_zps8yj4sl5k.jpg

Then of course my solution to my obsolete top of door trim....

9B70905B-BBE5-4DAA-BC94-8F529EB105C6_zpsh9a4qmbd.jpg

Just your average, everyday piece of 3/16 aluminum bar stock,...ran through the router to angle one edge and held on w/ 3M adhesive tape....BTW,.....The door lock button........**whispering**......Not a door lock....You push down on it to open the door from inside.

Now,.....all of this is going along swimmingly,...I take the Monster for his second voyage,..this time a couple of miles. He performs reasonably well. I run the car through all three gears again, and rev it to 3500RPM in 2nd. It all seems ok.

I pull the thing back into the garage,...shut it off and start taking these pictures...I check under the thing to check for leaks........I got two.
Engine oil at the front of the transmission,..and transmission fluid at the rear.

The transmission is probably a bad sealing surface on the yoke...something like that..The engine oil leak....that is another story. I was convinced that I have either a leaking plug, or a rear main seal leak...both of which were gonna require an engine pull.

But then,...Smoke....in this case a good thing.

Because its coming from here..

24330282-21CD-4672-B41C-A088C5493DEE_zpshawnzdpp.jpg

There was so much oil here it was puddling. Those puddles of oil were the things that were smoking. I have since mopped it up,..but I'd have to say that what's happening here is that I gotta valve cover gasket leak. It was seeping past the header flange,..running down the side of the engine, and along the pan rail,..... eventually running down the back of the engine, and.........dripping....onto the floor.

Valve cover bolts were pretty loose. I tightened them up as tight as they'll go. Hopefully that will be the end of my damn engine oil leaking,...now I just got the freakin transmission to deal with.

I also got this whistle coming from somewhere. Seems I read somewhere that certain throttle bodies do this,..I can't figure out where else it could be coming from and why (if this is the case) that they do,..but you can hear the damn whistle right along w/ the noisy assed engine.

So I'm happy.Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. My last day off before I go back to work for two and be off again on Sunday.

I tell ya I could get used to dickin off again.

The stinkin vid finally loaded...(note to self,..reset vid to 4x3:1, or turn the Ipad on it's side)

You'll see the oil smoke that I thought was paint burning.....funny how these things have a way of working themselves out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Alrighty then!!!

I was gonna forego this written update and post a video instead,..but for me the spoken word just isn't as effective at communicating my thoughts..(I cannot go back and edit what I was trying to say).

That doesn't mean that I didn't make a video, (I did),..It's just taking so freakin long to upload, I got no patience for it.

This morning, I posted a question in Steve's MS thread about injector dead times, and other techno garbage. I decided to go ahead and start the car w/ the current tune, and change that stuff on the fly w/i the running program....Whatever it did,..it seems like it starts faster now. I still have to prime the injectors w/ at least 2 key turns though,...but once I do, the engine starts off almost instantly.

I buffed the roof. That made such a mess that I went ahead and washed the car. It was a quickie nonetheless as we are in a stage 4 drought, and non-essential water usage can get you fined,..but the Monster was just too dirty. Especially after buffing the roof.

Chips of all kinds are manifesting themselves all over the place,..and you can see two on the dash bar above. I tell ya, by the time I get this car all done it's gonna need a total repaint at the rate I'm going.

That center emblem on the rear of the car has proven to be more of a pain in the ass to illuminate it than it's worth. While driving downtown on Monday night, I noticed two glowing strips of light on top of a tanker truck. I thought "Why the hell are there lights that high up on back of that truck?" but soon enough the answer became apparent.

They weren't lights,....they were just your typical reflective tape,..making it seem like they were lit simply because my headlights were shining on them..

That's IT!....I'll put that reflective stuff behind the letters of the center emblem,..and they'll glow the same way when lights hit them from behind,..all w/o having to run one single bulb back there....

Brilliance I tell ya......It's a wonder my head isn't bigger than it is to hold my massive brain.

The angle makes it look like there isn't a gap,...there is. A perfect 1/4" one matter of fact. The trunk has been opened and closed numerous times by me w/o incident,....It just can't be slammed.

Just your average, everyday piece of 3/16 aluminum bar stock,...ran through the router to angle one edge and held on w/ 3M adhesive tape....BTW,.....The door lock button........**whispering**......Not a door lock....You push down on it to open the door from inside.

Now,.....all of this is going along swimmingly,...I take the Monster for his second voyage,..this time a couple of miles. He performs reasonably well. I run the car through all three gears again, and rev it to 3500RPM in 2nd. It all seems ok.

I pull the thing back into the garage,...shut it off and start taking these pictures...I check under the thing to check for leaks........I got two.
Engine oil at the front of the transmission,..and transmission fluid at the rear.

The transmission is probably a bad sealing surface on the yoke...something like that..The engine oil leak....that is another story. I was convinced that I have either a leaking plug, or a rear main seal leak...both of which were gonna require an engine pull.

There was so much oil here it was puddling. Those puddles of oil were the things that were smoking. I have since mopped it up,..but I'd have to say that what's happening here is that I gotta valve cover gasket leak. It was seeping past the header flange,..running down the side of the engine, and along the pan rail,..... eventually running down the back of the engine, and.........dripping....onto the floor.

Valve cover bolts were pretty loose. I tightened them up as tight as they'll go. Hopefully that will be the end of my damn engine oil leaking,...now I just got the freakin transmission to deal with.

I also got this whistle coming from somewhere. Seems I read somewhere that certain throttle bodies do this,..I can't figure out where else it could be coming from and why (if this is the case) that they do,..but you can hear the damn whistle right along w/ the noisy assed engine.

So I'm happy.Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. My last day off before I go back to work for two and be off again on Sunday.

The stinkin vid finally loaded...(note to self,..reset vid to 4x3:1, or turn the Ipad on it's side)

You'll see the oil smoke that I thought was paint burning.....funny how these things have a way of working themselves out.

That's awesome mike,glad you are getting through the small issues. I bet driving the Monster is a blast lol
What's the knight rider light on your cluster for? Part of The tach?

That's awesome mike,glad you are getting through the small issues. I bet driving the Monster is a blast lol
What's the knight rider light on your cluster for? Part of The tach?
I don't know yet..I'm thinking it's a calibration reminder cause I haven't done that yet...But then again,..the instructions are downstairs.

Alrighty then!!!

If you have some of the single stage left, try mixing up a little with the hardener. Just go by capfuls to get the correct ratio. I'd bet it almosts disappears when you touch it up. Don't bother with the reducer, that'll just make it too runny.

I'm really happy for you mike. What a cool car. Congratulations my friend.

Happy birthday btw....old man....:eek::D

Reactions: 2 users
If you have some of the single stage left, try mixing up a little with the hardener. Just go by capfuls to get the correct ratio. I'd bet it almosts disappears when you touch it up. Don't bother with the reducer, that'll just make it too runny.

I'm really happy for you mike. What a cool car. Congratulations my friend.

Happy birthday btw....old man....:eek::D
Oh I have some alright. Not only do I have the stuff you sprayed,..I also have some leftover junk from the first time.
Thing is, I wont use one capful for that little tiny chip. So how much hardener to add when all you need is a dab?

Oh I have some alright. Not only do I have the stuff you sprayed,..I also have some leftover junk from the first time.
Thing is, I wont use one capful for that little tiny chip. So how much hardener to add when all you need is a dab?
Use capfuls mike, you might waste an ounce, but you'll have a much more accurate mix.

I'll put that reflective stuff behind the letters of the center emblem,..and they'll glow the same way when lights hit them from behind,..all w/o having to run one single bulb back there....

Let me know if you would like me to send you any reflective vinyl. If so, let me know what color. :nice:

The ride height is muy bueno! I had that same TB whistle happen on my '95. I believe it was the IAC, and went away after I replaced it. Maybe that has something to do with your surging idle as well?
I don't have an IAC on my throttle body. I was reading that it could be because of all of the sharp edges in the IAC port area,....there is evidently a lot of turbulence caused by that, and that in turn could be the reason for the noise.

I don't have an IAC on my throttle body. I was reading that it could be because of all of the sharp edges in the IAC port area,....there is evidently a lot of turbulence caused by that, and that in turn could be the reason for the noise.

I sand rolled the edges of mine down, it didn't seem to help too much, but I also didn't spend a great deal of time or effort on it either.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.