1979 to 1986gts collector values.

Will the 79 to 86gts increase in value down the road? Is it better to keep it as stock as you can? I have a 86gt ,body is in great shape, needs paint soon, should i stick with the original color canyon red. I,ve been keeping the original parts, when I do a performance upgrade. There aren,t as many gts up here in Canada. and the ones they shipped up here were called Canadian export cobra gts. Does that add any value to them? Came with Km speedoes etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Only time will tell. IMO, '85-'86 were the best looking 4-eyes, and there really aren't a lot of them left out there. At the same time, they weren't exactly the pinnacle of 5.0 performance, and a lot of people aren't into the pre-'87 5.0's. Build the car the way you want it, but I would stick with the factory color if at all possible; especially if you like it.

The values of those cars in good condition are only going up. Yes, down the road they will be worth a lot more in collector value. Usually a car isn't really considered "classic" until it is about 30 years old, those car's are only in their late teens and early twenties. Us enthusiast of course apreciate them, but most people don't "see" them yet.

You can beef up a car, and still hold it's value as a collector car but it's how you do it. The first rule I would go by is not to delete anything, keep it and all features that it came from the factory. Full interior of that year, keep the A/C, brackets, wiring, stickers, you name it. If it was Fuel Injected, keep the fuel injection. Keep the stock color also. You can modify, but don't change anything, do you get what I mean.

There are no 79-81 GTs, I dont think mustang GTs from 82-86 will ever realy be worth much, there were just too many produced, its going to be limited production cars like pace cars, cobras, twister IIs, predators, ect. that will realy go up in value. Dont be in this hobby to get rich because you wont, just make the car how you want it, retain the 4-eyed bumper and dash to keep the cars identity but other than that do what you want to make if faster or handle better or whatever.

I love the 4-eyes!

I have an 85 4-eye front/rear bumpers and mouldings all around ready to go onto my 91 cause I love that look so much. An 85 stang red/black with t-tops was the first car I really fell in love with. To each his own.

If you keep it GLEAMING and in all factory spec in showroom condition....hell, you could probably start asking for serious money for it right now. There will always be a small but fanatically dedicated fanbase for every type of classic car. Look through your local want ads. I guarantee there will be someone selling a 20-30 k mile 80something mustang for 7-10 thousand bucks.

This is if you dont plan to use it much.

Me, I'd customize the car until there is practically nothing left of the original hardware except the floorpan. But thats just me.

I don't really see them being worth that much right now or in the near future. There were just too many produced. True, they are getting harder to find. But in time, so will the 87-93's. The only car I see being a big dollar car is the 93 Cobra. And there are so many of those around with low miles, modding up a high mile one shouldn't be frowned upon. The pace cars is a good question. They actually made a ton of those. To be exact, 10,478. So I don't see them fetching Cobra money anytime soon. I guess the short answer to the question is, unless you have a low mile car that is mint, do what you want and don't feel bad about it.

I have an 86 GT.. The biggest mistake i made was changing everyting over to 87-93.. when i say everything, i mean EVERYTHING, right down to the entire wiring harness.... but i got in a lil fender bender and all the 87-93 parts were practically free, but i still regret it!

5.0 Nostalgia said:
The pace cars is a good question. They actually made a ton of those. To be exact, 10,478. So I don't see them fetching Cobra money anytime soon. I guess the short answer to the question is, unless you have a low mile car that is mint, do what you want and don't feel bad about it.

I dont agree, pacecars fetch alot of money as it is when they are in very good condition, I have seen as high as 18,000 for a mint one, there are far few pacecars due to time and 10,478 produced durring a year where over 300,000 mustangs were produced isn't many, when was the last time you saw a pacecar on the street, I am the only person I know of who daily drives a pacecar and I have been offered 15,000 for my car but I love it too much to get rid of it. One reason I dont think 93 cobras will fetch as much money is because its not "different enough" it looks just like a mustang GT except for slight nose and bumper alterations and different wheels, pacecars are very unique compared to any fox mustang ever built and they were built in honor of an event and they are a 15th anniversary mustang. If anything I think they will either be worth the same or the pacecars will be worth alittle more.