Fox 1983 T-top Coupe - $1000 - New Buffalo Butt Beer

Are you going to narrow this 8.8 ? 5 lug swap? 351 would be sweet,with a Vortech :) reading some of mikes posts about 460's has made me want to find a fox roller and wedge one in it
:D Like that Turbo car up there by Robby lol
IDK to most of what you're asking. Too early.

Though I will assume the five lug swap. Probably fairly high on my wants/priority list will be Wild Rides s-box combo https://wildridesracecars.com/shop/ford/new-upper-lower-s-box-combo-package/.

I want to Maximum Motorsports the crap out of this car.

But, that's all later. Immediate stuff will be, of course, all of the fluids flushed out and replaced. New brakes pads, rotors, drums, hoses. Rebuild the carb, new fuel tank. New headliner, dashpad, carpet and at least some decent TMI seat covers, if not more.

I'm trying to find out if TMI makes the r500 series seat covers for the '83 low back seats. They don't respond to emails very well though. Guess I'll call them.

I need it to run, that's the first key. Then run comfortably. Then I stop on the build and spend awhile building up parts. It might really be a couple years before the serious work begins.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

IDK to most of what you're asking. Too early.

Though I will assume the five lug swap. Probably fairly high on my wants/priority list will be Wild Rides s-box combo https://wildridesracecars.com/shop/ford/new-upper-lower-s-box-combo-package/.

I want to Maximum Motorsports the crap out of this car.

But, that's all later. Immediate stuff will be, of course, all of the fluids flushed out and replaced. New brakes pads, rotors, drums, hoses. Rebuild the carb, new fuel tank. New headliner, dashpad, carpet and at least some decent TMI seat covers, if not more.

I'm trying to find out if TMI makes the r500 series seat covers for the '83 low back seats. They don't respond to emails very well though. Guess I'll call them.

I need it to run, that's the first key. Then run comfortably. Then I stop on the build and spend awhile building up parts. It might really be a couple years before the serious work begins.

Quiet Chris....Don't start.

I understand what you mean Dave , it will be pretty cool to see it up and running/driving in its factory form... I get a little impatient and come up with several quest/ideas - kinda cart before the horse so to speak lol but an 80's Fox with a 460 would be pretty fun still :)

Reactions: 1 users
Work shirt, I work at a dodge dealership. The dealership owner wouldn't understand a mustang t-shirt.
That's acceptable then. [emoji6]

It's a job. Actually one of the better places I've worked.

I worked at one of the ford dealerships for years, management changed along with the "company policies". Plus the started sucking the insurance companies dicks so hard it was getting difficult to make a paycheck.

It's nice working in a place where the management seems to actually care about the employees. Other shops just want numbers, numbers, numbers and really couldn't give one little sht about how making those numbers will effect you as an employee.

I hope to paint there until I finally retire. I'm thinking another 14-15 years, and then I will have more quality time with my mustangs!

I'm glad you like where you are working. It makes the work days easier and more enjoyable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Sooooo, the yard owner said when he drove Robby into the yard, that the engine "sounded rough".

He seems to believe it might have a bad head gasket. He had no other facts for me though. His thoughts are based on that he heard the Essex engines have a head gasket problem.

I've been reading about the Essex V6, the head gasket issue for these engines doesn't really seem to have been a problem until about '88. The older HGs used an asbestos HG, in '88 they changed to something more legal that tended to soak in the antifreeze and deteriorate.

So maybe I don't have a problem? But if you look at the pictures, the heater core has been bypassed. The assumption is that it leaks, right? So, if it leaks (leaked?), then there is a possibility that the engine could've overheated causing a slight warping of the aluminum heads. Then a head gasket failure soon after.

Oh well, it may be nothing at all. It just might have needed a tune up.

In about two weeks, we'll find out. The first thing will be to get the engine running (after the new fluid thingy).

I'm so excited about this car, I feel I might wet myself.

Reactions: 2 users
Considering that the heater is the size of my left flip flop, it isn't doing anything to cool an engine. It most likely started leaking and was bypassed. Change fluids, add new plugs/wires and go from there.

Reactions: 1 user
Sooooo, the yard owner said when he drove Robby into the yard, that the engine "sounded rough".

He seems to believe it might have a bad head gasket. He had no other facts for me though. His thoughts are based on that he heard the Essex engines have a head gasket problem.

I've been reading about the Essex V6, the head gasket issue for these engines doesn't really seem to have been a problem until about '88. The older HGs used an asbestos HG, in '88 they changed to something more legal that tended to soak in the antifreeze and deteriorate.

So maybe I don't have a problem? But if you look at the pictures, the heater core has been bypassed. The assumption is that it leaks, right? So, if it leaks (leaked?), then there is a possibility that the engine could've overheated causing a slight warping of the aluminum heads. Then a head gasket failure soon after.

Oh well, it may be nothing at all. It just might have needed a tune up.

In about two weeks, we'll find out. The first thing will be to get the engine running (after the new fluid thingy).

I'm so excited about this car, I feel I might wet myself.

I agree with @stykthyn
Since you will be changing fluids I would power flush the cooling system,and I would do it a few times until nothing but clean water comes out-then once it's running on its own again I'd replace all cooling system components and gaskets-which I'm sure you are already planning to do,sometimes I just like to sound like I know stuff :)

I agree with @stykthyn
Since you will be changing fluids I would power flush the cooling system,and I would do it a few times until nothing but clean water comes out-then once it's running on its own again I'd replace all cooling system components and gaskets-which I'm sure you are already planning to do,sometimes I just like to sound like I know stuff :)
Lol:rlaugh:

The heater core will be an early fix.

I wonder about that little electric fan that's on the radiator, hope it works. Sht, I hope a lot of stuff works!

Lol:rlaugh:

The heater core will be an early fix.

I wonder about that little electric fan that's on the radiator, hope it works. Sht, I hope a lot of stuff works!

First of all, congrats! Secondly, I wouldnt plan on much of anything working... But if it does, then woo hoo, surprise! As for replacing things, I know you want to get the thing running and driving, but anything you can buy ONCE that will work with your future plans, I would wait and save enough money to do it that way. Things like the radiator, gas tank, fuel pump, etc. Plus, why not keep your focus on Doby so that she can be your daily, and this can be more about a slow project you can really sink your skills into... Why put all new brakes, wheels and tires, etc, when you will just replace them all again a couple years? Thats easily $1k/2k you could put into Doby to get her back on her feet. Those are just my immediate thoughts.

First of all, congrats! Secondly, I wouldnt plan on much of anything working... But if it does, then woo hoo, surprise! As for replacing things, I know you want to get the thing running and driving, but anything you can buy ONCE that will work with your future plans, I would wait and save enough money to do it that way. Things like the radiator, gas tank, fuel pump, etc. Plus, why not keep your focus on Doby so that she can be your daily, and this can be more about a slow project you can really sink your skills into... Why put all new brakes, wheels and tires, etc, when you will just replace them all again a couple years? Thats easily $1k/2k you could put into Doby to get her back on her feet. Those are just my immediate thoughts.
A lot of it is just because, even if the parts were good fifteen years ago, they're probably not so good now. I'm just assuming the brakes are crap.

The TRX wheels and tires will just look nice, that's why they'll be on there.

The interior stuff is pretty much a one time buy.

The gas tank needs to go because the old one is in absolute sht condition. The radiator, fuel pump and the rest of the odds and ends? Hopefully they're ok. The heater core? I want a warm car for the winter.

You have to understand Nick, this car, in the long run, will allow me to take more time on Doby. In other words, better stuff for Doby. I want the blue one to be comfortable enough to drive for a while, while I finish Doby.

So, some stuff will only be around for a year or two, but it will make the early time with Robby more enjoyable.

A lot of it is just because, even if the parts were good fifteen years ago, they're probably not so good now. I'm just assuming the brakes are crap.

The TRX wheels and tires will just look nice, that's why they'll be on there.

The interior stuff is pretty much a one time buy.

The gas tank needs to go because the old one is in absolute sht condition. The radiator, fuel pump and the rest of the odds and ends? Hopefully they're ok. The heater core? I want a warm car for the winter.

You have to understand Nick, this car, in the long run, will allow me to take more time on Doby. In other words, better stuff for Doby. I want the blue one to be comfortable enough to drive for a while, while I finish Doby.

So, some stuff will only be around for a year or two, but it will make the early time with Robby more enjoyable.
Did we actually get to see pics of "the interior", or do you just use the seats to stand on for photo ops?

If that car has a non-sport seat,..( and I just don't know what came in a car that old ) You're gonna probably wanna replace them, even if you intend to recover. (especially if you intend to do so)

Did we actually get to see pics of "the interior", or do you just use the seats to stand on for photo ops?

If that car has a non-sport seat,..( and I just don't know what came in a car that old ) You're gonna probably wanna replace them, even if you intend to recover. (especially if you intend to do so)
Yeah, I posted some pictures of the interior before, here you go though:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I will be spending a bit to make it somewhat comfortable.

Those pics bring back memories! A buddy of mine had an early fox with blue interior like that when I was 16. The good ol days! I miss em sometimes.

It is, but I don't want a light blue interior anyhow. This just inspires/requires me to change out stuff real early on this one. Headliner, carpet, dash pad, and at least seat covers.
I started switching out my interior from red to black, I cannot begin to tell you how much interior pieces cost. I hope for your car they are cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk