1984 GT wont start need help

slow3gt

Nov 30, 2005
nashville tn
ive got a 1984 mustang that wont start and the starter wont kick in we have replaced the starter, the starter soleniod, replaced the negative ground wire to the motor, and the voltage regulator box the accessories are turning on though....we have gotten the car to start by hooking the jumper cables, the positive to the starter and the negative to the frame and the car fired up fine and ran until i tried to drive it for about 10 feet and then it cut off and we got it running that way again and it hasnt started since i really have no clue what is wrong with this car i figured it was the soleniod but it has been replaced could it possibly be a short in the steering wheel? any help would be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Got a voltmeter? Test battery and charge if necassary and test once again to see if it holds charge. Normal battery should read 12.2-12.5 I believe. If battery was toast and you replaced it and it starts up, test alt and make sure its putting out correctly. Sounds like short in system whether it be alt, battery, or wiring. If battery was dead and you get it back up to proper charge, test to see if there is a drain.

yea weve got a new battery in it there are some burnt wires in the car so it may be that but we got it started a couple times last night and it ran fine then today it wont start it will crank but wont fire so we are really confused

there are basic things you need to run an engine, compression, spark, fuel and air..check those things first, sometimes old motors need to be cleaned up, like the spark plugs changed, dist. cap cleaned or changed, etc..good luck, firing up old motors is a thrill for me, because it's something different every time

~Mark~