1984 SVO questions

2oo3gt

Aug 22, 2004
I am considering buying a 1984 SVO from someone locally. I just have a few quick questions because I know not much about them.

What kind of realistic MPG do they get in stock trim?
What are some common problems/ weakpoints in the cars?
What would you pay for one with New paint, 25,000 on rebuilt motor, and clean interior? (Chassis has 150,xxx miles)

Thank you for your help in advance! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Mileage...you should be able to get in the neighborhood of 25 mpg on a regular basis. I usually average 22-25 mpg in my TC and it's a good bit heavier car.

The biggest "weak point" on SVO's is the hard to find body panels such as the front fascia and header panel (although some companies are making reproductions now). Otherwise, the turbo 2.3L is a pretty good engine and cheap to get parts for. Take care of it and it should be fine.

As for what I'd pay? No idea...what's he asking?

I am considering buying a 1984 SVO from someone locally. I just have a few quick questions because I know not much about them.

1.) What kind of realistic MPG do they get in stock trim?
2.) What are some common problems/ weakpoints in the cars?
3.) What would you pay for one with New paint, 25,000 on rebuilt motor, and clean interior? (Chassis has 150,xxx miles)

Thank you for your help in advance! :nice:

1.) Realistically? Probably 22-28mpg average if you don't do the majority of your driving in slow-speed traffic.
2.) The fan controller and engine bay wiring comes to mind.
3.) That really depends on how nice the car looks and drives.