1985 Mustang GT Carburetor Gas Leak

MICHAELZ

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Baltimore Maryland
I have a 1985 Mustang GT very few modifications and no engine modifications with the factory 4 barrell carburetor.

I'm getting a big gas leak where the red arrow points, right where that tube plugs in.

The entire tube will slide back and forth, when it's pushed all the way back towards the driver the leak will stop, but that doesn't last. I'm guessing some sort of seal has gone bad.

Is there an easy fix? Do I need a full rebuild?

Any help and suggesting greatly appreciated.

Michael-Z

carb%20problem.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

MichaelZ,

I have the same set-up on my '84 GT and this problem happened to me as well. If you losen the front cover just enough to remove the tube you will see a tiny "O" ring on each end of the tube. This is all that needs to be replaced. 10 minute job and your all set.

JD

You might have to get a rebuild kit, in case the gaskets rip when you pull the bowl loose.. gaskets arent the same as a standard holley. Be carefull putting the 0-rings in, you dont want to get a cut in them putting the tube in, new holleys have a better design, not sure if it will retrofit though.. I'd think it would.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...atalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=12713
Has the new style seal as well as the 0-rings

jduffy,

If I do as you say and loosen the front cover just a little, will the transfer tube just slide out all together? It must not be much longer than what I can see?

Then I replace the "O" ring on each end of the tube and slide it all back together, tighten the bolts and I'm done?

Any idea where to get the "O" ring?

Thanks!

Michael-Z