1986 3.8 To 5.0 Swap

Riley

Mar 13, 2014
I will be buying a 1986 fox body v6 from a close friend for $500 as soon as I get the money. The car is in perfect condition, everything you could ask for. Except one thing. It's the v6 model. Could someone educate me on what all will need to be done to swap it to a 5.0? Or 351 if there's not much difference in work or cost?

• Sponsors (?)

the first question to ask yourself is what is your goal for this project? do you just want a V8 fox body? or do oyu have something specific in mind?
Yes I would like a v8 foxbody, but I would like to spend the least amount possible. The challenge of doing something like this would also be rewarding.

alright, first you need the engine and transmission you want in the car. next you need the engine mounts. fortunately the car you have selected makes for a fairly easy swap since you dont have to change the K member. then there is the wiring harness, hoses, radiator, linkage, etc. lots of little bits and pieces. dont forget the exhaust system either. you may also need to change the drive shaft as the one in the car may be a bit long.

If you get a 5.0 out of a mustang or explorer more then likely the mounts will be on it and they drop right in on the kmember that is in the car. I just did this last spring. If you are wanting to go efi, I would suggest getting a donor car as it will make things a lot easier.

You are going to swap out pretty much the entire drivetrain- engine, trans, rear, brakes, suspension, plus the wiring, radiator, exhaust, cables and linkeages and all the little parts that drive you mad. I often tell people it is much cheaper and easier in the long run to start with a 5.0 than convert over.

I'd recommend you find a wrecked or rusted out 5.0 and swap over all the parts. It will be much easier than trying to scrounge for each item seperatley. Know that wiring harneses and other items differ between the years.

Do yourself a favor and go strait to a 351. You'll be sourcing the parts anyway. Doesn't have to be fancy, you can stick with mostly junkyard parts. Headers will need to be aftermarket. There are some tricks to get it to fit under the stock hood but you'll need either the 351 GT40 lower intake or something aftermarket. Non-GT40 351 truck intake is a mile tall.

My vehicle was a 4 cylinder LX, to begin with, someone had started the 5.0 swap, they had not got into doing the electrical yet. Best bang for your buck, and what I wish I would of done. LS swap. Ford guys might hate me, my dad worked for FORD for 20+ years, and all I have driven is fords - and i love them. Fox Body is my favorite car to look at; after 1980 for the money. But when it comes to a push rod motor, Chevy knew what they were doing once they built the LS series.