1986 Mustang GT Ignition Key Won't Turn

sam woodson

Feb 21, 2007
1986 Mustang GT, 5spd. At first I could not get the key in all the way. I used lots of WD-40 and finally got the key in. I still couldn't turn it. I pushed the clutch in, had it in neutral, etc.

I took the steering column cover off, pulled the turn signal part off, then found 2 big bolts I took off. I still couldn't get the steering wheel to Unlock. I was able to remove the electrical ignition switch and slide it to position so I could roll up the windows.

So, I figure the ignition "KEY" switch is shot. How do I replace it, do I have to pull the steering wheel? Do you need a special tool to do that?

Thanks,
Sam

• Sponsors (?)

This could be a pain in the rear.

The standard lock cylinder removal requires that you be able to insert the key and turn the lock to on. Then insert a small pin into the latch removal hole to release the cylinder, and pull the key and cylinder out. Check this with someone, as I am writing from memory, but I think it is the on position. Do it with the battery unhooked.

If the cylinder won't turn with the key in it, you may have to drill down the center of the key hole with 1/2 in drill, all the way through the cylinder, to cut it loose from the small pinion shaft at the inner end.

I used a punch on the pin on the cylinder. This causes the end of the cylinder to break off but a pair of long needle nose pliers can get the part out. Rotate the gear at the base to the on position and slide in the new cylinder.

15 minutes is all it took me.

Allen

Thanks 93LX ans Stang$2Birds

It wasn't too bad once I figured out what to do.

Since I couldn't turn the key. I used a nail punch to knock on the pin that holds the Key tumbler in place. That caused a small piece of the pot metal to break off, then I was able to remove the tumbler and with some needle nose pliers remove the debris. Then the new assembly just pops in. $16 and done

or try using the right key lol ...i believe you did
The POS Ford ignition locks wear out over time. I posted on the corral how I ended up taking my Mustang on a week+ long hiking trip with my friend because his POS Ford truck ate his key the morning we were to leave. So, his wife drove him to my house, and we STUFFED what ever we could in my Stang. Forget about the mountain bikes!

It ended up being my BEST vacation ever because it was a lot of driving in the Presidential mountain range in NH and I had my M2300K brakes on the car already. Long steep curvy empty road and world-class brakes = AWESOME vacation.

My friend's wife had to have hos truck towed to the dealer and have the dealer do the repair. It ended up being an expensive repair for him. So, knowing how to do it correctly can save you both time and *money*.