1987 8.8 Rear End

• Sponsors (?)

ok with that being cleared up I have the tag off it the top line reads 431D the second line reads 3SL55 8.8 8F17 what does the SL stand for I know its 3:55 ratio but is it a locker or limited slip
Can't tell you what the numbers and letters mean,...ford only put traction loc differentials in as opposed to open diffs. If turning one wheel the other goes in the opposite direction, it's open, and will only spin one tire. If both tires spin in the same direction, AND.....(get a friend to help, or stick a crowbar through the studs that will get jammed between the ground so that tire will not spin) if the tire you're trying to turn will not turn,...then you have a clutch based traction loc differential.

Ford only put a "locker" in a 9",.....and you'd know you had it as soon as you drove it.

I've never seen an SL one. I usually see stuff like 3L08 or 3L55 where the single L means limited slip. Yours shouldn't be 3.55s because they didn't offer them for the '87. Pretty sure all that was offered were 2.73's, 3.08's, and 3.27's IIRC.

Who knows what has been changed since 1987. We are all speculating at this point. Don't assume the tag is 100% accurate or even that you have 28 spline axles. Need to do some checking...

A locked rear end is your guaranteed appoint with the curb at the very next instance of rain. It is not a good idea for safety's sake, not to mention the added stress that will be put on the poor old 28 spline C-clip axles as a result.

If you are wanting to improve the performance of the T-loc,..rebuild it.
If you want something better, Eaton, Auburn, and Detroit all make replacement diffs that are far superior to the old T-loc, They will all cost you somewhere between 400-600.00.